aggressive behaviour

michelle66

Dec 17, 2007
My mum has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia although there have been problems cosiderably longer.She has always been quite aggressive but she is much worse now.Trying to get some daycare for her(I work in a day care centre)to give my dad much needed time alone.She apparently physically attacked him a few days ago and threatened to stab him I have a meeting tomorrow with CPN and social worker,can I ask them to get some respite care somewhere to assess her or might they takke her into hospital?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Michelle

Will your father be at this meeting as well? I ask because I'm afraid to say that generally nothing at all will happen unless the person who is the one most affected (i.e. your father) makes a request, and even then, not necessarily. They may listen but I have my doubts that they will take action: generally emergency respite or hospitalization doesn't take place until the situation is critical. It's not how it should be, I don't think it's how it's supposed to be, but it is what tends to happen. Even if he is there, will he speak up? Lots of spouses won't since they consider it a betrayal, or they'll minimize the difficulty.

michelle66

Dec 17, 2007
Hi jennifer thanks for replying. The last 2 days have been a nightmnare rollercoaster but today my mum went into an emi unit for a few days.We are all relieved and mum seemed happy to get away from the house and my dad.Spoken to the psychiatrist today and given him 31 years of background to work on.If she seems happy its pointless moving her home again.xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Michelle

It sounds as if your Mum is in the best place for her at the moment, even if it's not ideal. How is your father coping with it? I assume this is in the nature of a voluntary placement? Have they given you a time frame?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Michelle,
My mother became very aggressive and physically violent during various phases of her disease (AD). We did a lot of med tweaking, plus at one point she was in a geriatric psychiatric hospital unit for 7 weeks.

Is your mother on any medication at all? You do have to be careful with meds & take time but they can be helpful.

michelle66

Dec 17, 2007
My dad is relieved but wants her home at some point. She will probably be in and out for respite over the coming months. She is on Quitierpine (Ithink thats how u spell it!) but hasnt been on the right dose until now. When we visit her in the unit she is quite off with us to start with and then ok.Not agood time for her to go in but we had reached crisis point although i was told back in july that it was an urgent situation.I dont think my dad realises how ill she is but she has had psychotic tendencies for a number of years which has made things very difficult and hard for us to recognise the dementia part. thank you bothfor your thoughts.Merry christmas?!