Aggressive behaviour

Vicnor

Sep 26, 2015
Hi, My Mum is 91 and has dementia. She is an intelligent,ex head teacher and County Councillor. The dementia presents itself as word finding issues and the frustration that goes with it. However our particular concern is her increasingly aggressive behaviour. She moved into a Care Home a year ago,after 9months she was asked to leave because they could no longer cope with her behaviour. She moved to a second home, which was more experienced in dealing with this type of behaviour. 3months on,she has been asked to leave there too. I'm at a loss as to what to do next and who to turn to for help. This behaviour is so far removed from the Mum who brought me up. This situation is both distressing- for all concerned-and frightening. Who is out there to help me find somewhere where Mum can be helped?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

What has the GP or memory clinic said about the aggressiveness? Does he medication maybe need a tweak?

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Hi, My Mum is 91 and has dementia. She is an intelligent,ex head teacher and County Councillor. The dementia presents itself as word finding issues and the frustration that goes with it. However our particular concern is her increasingly aggressive behaviour. She moved into a Care Home a year ago,after 9months she was asked to leave because they could no longer cope with her behaviour. She moved to a second home, which was more experienced in dealing with this type of behaviour. 3months on,she has been asked to leave there too. I'm at a loss as to what to do next and who to turn to for help. This behaviour is so far removed from the Mum who brought me up. This situation is both distressing- for all concerned-and frightening. Who is out there to help me find somewhere where Mum can be helped?

I just wanted to express sympathy and support. I'm afraid I don't have any answers, but I hope somebody can help you. Surely Social Services have a responsibility to assess your mum (I imagine she might have to be sectioned in the first instance, just as part of the procedure) and find a suitable place for her, regardless of whether she's self funding or not? Try giving them a call...

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband is not at all aggressive but I have friends within the dementia world who are dealing with this. In each case they had to resort to medication to control it and avoid serious consequences for the person for whom they were caring. The drug I have heard most talked about is Risperidone.

Vicnor

Sep 26, 2015
Mum moved authority when she changed home. The memory clinic in the first authority diagnosed the Dementia and then disappear. Social services only became involved when the care home phoned the police when Mum 'absconded' or 'went for a walk'- as she put it! Once Mum moved authority, social services disappeared too. Memory clinic have not been involved at second home( in the second authority), but mental health team have and since Mum refuses all medication,they have given her medicine covertly. Despite doubling the dose,it has made no difference .Mental Health team seem to have gone into hiding too! A friend has suggested I should ask for a Continuing Care Assessment. But who do I ask and would it be of help?

Last edited:

Vicnor

Sep 26, 2015
Mum will not take medication-this is something that has developed with the dementia. Covert mediation has been tried with one drug,but there has been no change in her behaviour,despite doubling the dose.

Vicnor

Sep 26, 2015
Memory Clinic stopped involvement once Mum diagnosed with dementia. She has since moved authority. She refuses medication,so eventually I managed to persuade them to explore covert medication. They've tried one drug,doubled dose,but no positive affects. My major frustration is that it seems to be left to us to drive everything! No one seems to offer support or direction,we have to do all research and battle each step! Is this usual? It's exhausting!

Welcome to TP :)

What has the GP or memory clinic said about the aggressiveness? Does he medication maybe need a tweak?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Sadly, your experience so far is not at all unfamiliar to many of us.
The Memory Clinincs seem to be a port of call to get the diagnosis but once that is done, they bow out and refer back to GPs.
If there is a Mental Health team in place, they will be the ones to take the lead. It sounds as though they are monitoring the meds.
Can you be at the home when someone from the team visits? Then you may be able to ask questions and have a conversation. I have found the CPN and the psychiatrist consultant in dad's team were very approachable and we had a long chat last time they visited him.
I also chat to the senior and staff on dad's floor regularly - and pop in for a word with the manager whenever I have a thought or question - they too have been very approachable and have a good idea of dad's situation as they now see more of him than I do. The manager has in place all the links to outside agencies, much more so than any one carer could have, so a chat with the manager of your mum's home may well be useful to you.
Dad is also going through the mill at the moment (was close to being sectioned but the staff have worked hard to support him) and having his meds tweaked - I wish it were a science but it's very much trial and error as each individual is just that, individual.
I don't have experience of CHC but there are many threads which deal with it and some posters who are very much up to date with legal issues - so have a mooch around and I'm sure you'll find something to of help.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
A friend has suggested I should ask for a Continuing Care Assessment. But who do I ask and would it be of help?

This is an old thread that may help you

"Speak to the consultant and ask for a full assessment"

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...d-Nursing-Care&p=837839&viewfull=1#post837839

Also this one

"His needs and behaviour are rapidly changing and the current care home are not coping with these changes. His reassessment by a consultant may be the catalyst to him receiving better care and in getting some form of continuing care which could be paid for by the authorities"

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...dvice-please&p=1169173&viewfull=1#post1169173

Last edited:

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Mum will not take medication-this is something that has developed with the dementia. Covert mediation has been tried with one drug,but there has been no change in her behaviour,despite doubling the dose.

Just wanted to say I'm now in the exact same position as you, Vicnor, with regard to my dad.

Care home gave us his marching orders yesterday - we're now frantically trying to find somewhere that will take him. He is still highly mobile, as well as being aggressive.

For us, too, medication doesn't work. He won't take any kind of tablets, and covert medicating hasn't worked either - he's able to detect the 'chemicals' in his drinks and food, and then rejects them.

It's all so sad. The home don't want him to go, but he's simply too much of a threat to other residents.

And I fear that he will really miss the place - he's got a good relationship with many of the staff, and knows who they are. He is 'with it' enough to know a change of scene, I'm sure, and I'm scared he will be frightened, lost, and even more confused in a new place, and that his anger and aggression may even get worse as a result.

This disease is so horrendous for everyone involved.

So, Vicnor - I just wanted to say 'I'm with you', and if I can offer any help or support based on our experiences as we look for another home, I will let you know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti