Aggression

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Hi all,

I'm feeling increasingly anxious about this and would welcome some advice/perspective on it. For the past few weeks my OH has been displaying more signs of aggression which both I and the carer have noticed. He is normally very passive but he shouted at me and called me stupid and raised his fists to me a couple of weeks ago, and has also been shouting at people in the street when he is out in the carers car. On Friday we had an incident with some workmen outside our house. I wasn't there so didn't see it but I understand there was a gap of about 20 minutes when there was no carer with him and during that time he went outside and spoke to the workmen, then one of our carers arrived in her car. He went over to the carer and pushed her back in her car as she was trying to get out. She then witnessed him trying to hit one of the workmen. Thankfully the man seems to have passed it off as nothing serious, and understood the situation, but I am feeling that I am increasingly concerned about the aggressive behaviour and that I need to alert our memory clinic. I've called them this morning but nobody is available - should I be getting in touch with the GP? Is this urgent enough to require immediate action? Since the incident my OH has been calmer though physically restless. He doesn't have a UTI has he has been tested in the past couple of days.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi,

I'm not surprised you're finding it stressful. Yes, I think you need to contact the GP as there are medications available which can help calm aggressive behaviour.

Make sure the GP understands how worrying you're finding this behaviour. And yes, I do think this requires immediate action. Even if you feel that things have calmed somewhat you should let the GP know. Your OH will need input from the mental health team to make sure his meds suit him and if you're struggling to contact them your GP may be able to help.

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
I agree that this is urgent. My dad was sectioned under section 3, as a danger to himself and others for being aggressive when out, and was placed in the local elderly mental health hospital for 9 months. Because he refused to go in an ambulance, the police took him away.

I don't want to alarm you, just to alert you of potential consequences, not that it would be the same for your other half.

Ang

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't want to trivialise the matter but wonder if the heatwave of recent weeks is to blame to some extent. Aggression can be a symptom of anxiety or an expression of discomfort. I just wonder if dehydration and too much sun could be an issue.

Of course it could be the onset of another stage of the dementia so the referral to the GP is a sound idea.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @tss502
what a worry for you
I do agree that your husband's GP and consultant need to know straight away just in case - his behaviour is putting others at risk and also putting him at risk, not everyone will react as sensibly as that workman and the carer could easily have been hurt - I hope the carer has made a note of the incident, not to be awkward just so that it is recorded and that may help you in getting support

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I don't want to trivialise the matter but wonder if the heatwave of recent weeks is to blame to some extent. Aggression can be a symptom of anxiety or an expression of discomfort. I just wonder if dehydration and too much sun could be an issue.

Of course it could be the onset of another stage of the dementia so the referral to the GP is a sound idea.
Yes, I agree with this. I see a lot of increased aggression at OH home since the heatwave. Kindred.

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks everyone. I've now spoken to the memory clinic and they are recommending a two week trial of a small dose of risperidone, plus occasional use of lorazepam if and when he becomes agitated. They want to see him at the end of the two weeks to assess how it is going. Anyone have any experience of these?