Aggitated

J53

Oct 9, 2018
Has anyone heard of people with Dementia getting more aggitated as the afternoon turns to evenings?
My dad really gets aggitated as the light fades. All day he is calm and relaxed but come 3pm he turns into a very cross man his carers in the home are so patient even when he swears at the and tries to pinch them and inflict harm I have nothing but praise for them. If anyone has an ideas would love to hear them.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
This is common and it's called sundowning. Closing curtains early and keeping lights on can help.

There is a factsheet that includes details of this and I'll post a link in a minute

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Totally a common thing to happen to people with AZ, as Pete says closed the curtains as the reflections in the dark glass confuse people into thinking there are other people in the house and put lights on with bright bulbs, the brighter the better as vision or more specifically night vision may be affected.
The home always close all the curtains as soon as it starts to get dark and the home is so bright you could perform an operation in there.
The next thing may be a fear of reflections so be prepared to get rid of all the mirrors, my wife used to have a cigarette with the woman in the mirror in our kitchen until they fell out, then she just used to shout at her so all the mirrors went, there are none in the nursing home, not in the bathrooms, inside of the wardrobe doors, just none anywhere it's standard in homes for the later stages not to have mirrors.
K