• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Age UK Home Respite, anyone use them?

Greenfingers_girl

May 22, 2022
My mum is very sociable and my dad (PWD) is getting to the stage where she worries about leaving him at home alone as he can't remember where she is.

Does anyone use the Age UK Home Respite service? Would you recommend and can you give me an idea how much it is? Mum is thinking about using them 2 or 3 times a week for when she goes shopping and attends a couple of U3A social clubs - so no more than a couple of hours at most each time.

Thanks

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
My mum is very sociable and my dad (PWD) is getting to the stage where she worries about leaving him at home alone as he can't remember where she is.

Does anyone use the Age UK Home Respite service? Would you recommend and can you give me an idea how much it is? Mum is thinking about using them 2 or 3 times a week for when she goes shopping and attends a couple of U3A social clubs - so no more than a couple of hours at most each time.

Thanks
I used a sitting service run by our local Carers U k. This was for two hours and was really good. I would say worth trying.

duchess55

Sep 1, 2021
J

Thanks
i used them for my husband, so I could go swimming twice a week. They were very good and professional. We had he same lady come for two hours twice a week and she was lovely. We paid £19;per hour, would highly recommend.

Greenfingers_girl

May 22, 2022
J

i used them for my husband, so I could go swimming twice a week. They were very good and professional. We had he same lady come for two hours twice a week and she was lovely. We paid £19;per hour, would highly recommend.
That's brilliant, thank you duchess55. Exactly the sort of thing we are after for dad and will give mum some breathing space too.

Greenfingers_girl

May 22, 2022
I used a sitting service run by our local Carers U k. This was for two hours and was really good. I would say worth trying.
Thank you GillP. I'll have a look at the website, can I ask how much an hour they charged? It's just for chatting and playing games or jigsaws

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Thank you GillP. I'll have a look at the website, can I ask how much an hour they charged? It's just for chatting and playing games or jigsaws
Oh so, just checked and it was actually AgeUK we used and it was £16 per hour. We were on a waiting list for Carers Northants who offer a free service.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
My friend worked for Age UK as a Personal Asistant, and this is exactly the sort of thing she did. They try to make it the same person who sits each time (holidays etc., permitting), so PWD doesn't have to cope with the confusion of a different person. The don't do personal care, or give tablets.
In our area, Home Counties, charge is £20/hr. Does your dad get Attendance Allowance, as this can be used to fund some of the cost?
We did not get any sort of funded respite from any source, but I think it depends on where you live as to what is available. Worth you / mum contacting her local carers group to see if it's an option.

We were all set to use Age UK when mum broke her leg, then got shingles, so it never actually happened!