After UTI devastation

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Since the UTI that put her in hospital and from which she was so poorly then coming home, just 7 weeks have elapsed and what changes it has wrought. So confused now and the memory loss is so dramatic,so much so that when I was doing the housework this morning she wanted to help so, after the hoovering etc, I got the mop bucket out and she asked to do it. Of course I said yes and as she took it in her hands she suddenly looked distraught and cried, “I dont know what to do, how do I do it?” Such a shock and so sad as I am now having to lead her through so many little tasks and jobs that she was doing confidently just 2 months ago. Never really expected long term damage from the infection but it has without a doubt, so so sad for her.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Sometimes it’s the little things that are the big eye openers. I hope things improve as Pauline recovers.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Agzy before dad went into hospital last year with pneumonia he was not too bad at all. I had to sort out most things like medication, meals, shopping and lots of other things but I still went home at night. After the pneumonia dad was unable to find his kitchen, let alone make a cup of coffee. He thought daytime was the middle of the night and denied that things belonged to him. He had also declined physically and had to use a frame to walk.

Things did improve slowly but he never got himself back to how he was before the pneumonia and one of us had to be there 24/7 from then on.

Infections can be quiet devastating but she may improve bit by bit. Let's hope that she does.

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
Since the UTI that put her in hospital and from which she was so poorly then coming home, just 7 weeks have elapsed and what changes it has wrought. So confused now and the memory loss is so dramatic,so much so that when I was doing the housework this morning she wanted to help so, after the hoovering etc, I got the mop bucket out and she asked to do it. Of course I said yes and as she took it in her hands she suddenly looked distraught and cried, “I dont know what to do, how do I do it?” Such a shock and so sad as I am now having to lead her through so many little tasks and jobs that she was doing confidently just 2 months ago. Never really expected long term damage from the infection but it has without a doubt, so so sad for her.
Hello and I hope things improve for you long term. My husband (in his 50’s), has many, many illnesses including being disabled with Multiple Sclerosis for 24 years and MS Dementia for at least 8 years. He’s had 13 falls now in two weeks, has an indwelling catheter, had been on a 7 day course of antibiotics for a UTI, when his legs gave way again and as he’s 6ft. tall with a long back and legs that don’t bend and I have injuries from 30 years of caring, I had to call 111 for advice and he was taken to hospital. After three days, they just dropped him off, without prior notice, despite being told by the O.T. the day previously that he wasn’t safe to be home. He is really confused, I washed his hands, gave him a drink, showered and dried him, changed his leg bag, cut his nails, shaved him, moisturised him and dressed him. He didn’t know what to do with the food I had cut up for him, so I said, ‘put it in your mouth.’ He still didn’t know what to do, so I had to feed him. He was shouting that he’d never carried on with other women! Not sure where that came from, considering we have been together for 39 years, since the age of 19. Such strange behaviour...
Wanting to know my mobile phone password, as he reckons he has a right to that information! He needs help with the tv remote. I never know what he will say next, but I reckon the UTI hasn’t helped along with the MS and Dementia combined. Since being dropped off yesterday, he had another fall last night, he’s very weak and has suddenly just fallen asleep again whilst watching TV. I don’t know what will happen next.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Oh, @Sunshine2* that would be farfar too much for me and I am struggling without most of the physical needs caring such as showering and bathing as OH can manage with a little help and guidance. Even at the stage she is at now my family are urging me to put her into care to protect my own health issues. You sound to me a true heroine going way above what most people would even consider reaching. Respect, much respect x