After some advise and help

Emily#85

Nov 27, 2020
Hi everyone.
My name is Emily.
This quite hard to write and process but found out rhis morning that my mum has been diagnosed with early on set alzheimers.
Im absolutely gutted.
My mum is 66 years old and she lives with my dad.
Tbh the signs were there from 2016 shes had mri scans etc but came back that everything was fine.
She had a scan a couple of weeks ago and got the results this week.
Im at a loss what to do to help.
I have a younger brother but he has his own issues ( mild disabilities).
My dad has physical health issues and I worry about rhem both especially with this diagnosis.
I live in the same county as then but around half hour drive away.
I work and have 2 small children under the age of 4.
I want to help as much as I can.
My dad said he's been given some leaflets from rhe hospital but I wondered if there is any other help out there?
Thank you for reading

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Emily#85 welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

There is help out there and if you have a read on the forum you’ll see how others in your position have managed. You obviously can’t offer hands on day to day Care for your mum but you can help your dad in other ways. If you contact social services they should do a needs assessment for your mum and for your dad as her carer, although your parents would have to agree to this, and they should be able to point your parents in the right direction to get the kind of help they need.

One of the first things I did for my dad was to get a helper in to help with gardening and cleaning as that was what he needed in the early stages.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Emily#85

I'm sorry to read about your mum's diagnosis. The whole family will need time to adjust to that. How are your mum and dad coping with the news?

You will find lots of support and advice for you here and plenty of friendly ears to listen and help you along the way. Ask anything you like when you are ready (there is no such thing as a stupid question, by the way). You can also type a subject into the search bar at the top to find threads which might be useful.

This link might also be useful for general information in the meantime:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Sorry to hear about your mum @Emily#85 it is a shock even when you suspect it. When dad was diagnosed (mum died some years earlier) I was basically left to get on with it because no other family member was willing to help. What I would have liked was some kind of acknowledgement of what was happening from family or at least some interest in how dad was.

I know that you can't offer hands on help for your dad especially at this time of covid but you can support him so much just by talking to him and lending an ear when he needs someone to listen. Just knowing that you care and are interested will help your dad..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso