After many years absence I am back, it’s dad this time.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Had a post hospital stay telephone consultation with hospital doc about how dad is and all his other health probs .

She was concerned about dad’s ongoing treatment to help prevent further DVTs , it’s a bit complicated as dad has an old large Subdural haematoma. The usual treatment would be a blood thinner like Warfarin, but that’s risky and may start the haematoma bleeding ,
We decided not to go that route , Gp had previously discussed that with us.
She didn’t know about dads Atrial fibulation, she explained that the usual treatment is blood thinners, no thanks lol.

So it’s been decided that she will contact the Gp to say to continue the injections for a further 2 months then stop and hopefully no more DVTs , fortunately dad already had a permanent filter put in back in 09 due to a DVT in the same leg , so it should stop this one travelling upward#.

She took her time getting all the relevant inf and explained everything to us, she even asked how I was getting on with doing dad’s injections, we’ll im well versed at that, as I jab myself with insulin several times a day .

Dad has a community nurse coming out to take bloods tomorrow .

I must say it’s been so helpful having a Health and welfare LPA for Dad, the hospital staff talk freely with me and listen to what I say, so we sort of decide things together .

Dad seems a bit better in himself today, fingers crossed he stays that way.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Poor dads ill again. It’s a chest infection that is not playing nicely with his COPD . Had a telephone Convo with Gp who was very good , dads now got anti bs, tablets to loosen the very thick phlegm (sp?) and steroids. I’ve just packed him off to bed as he looks really ill, tbh I have seen better looking corpses.
He doesn’t want to eat but is taking fluids, fortunately he likes eggs in milk so if he’s not hungry later I’ll guve him another glass of it.
I’ve also got some Menthol lozenges which seem to help.

We had a big row the night before last, he was accusing me of all sorts and of me having dementia. It must have been this infection coming on.
I am afraid I gave him the silent treatment yesterday. , I wish I hadn’t now.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh I’m so sorry to hear that your dad is ill again @lin1. I hope the antibiotics kick in and that he picks up soon

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has copd as well as vascular dementia and i think the copd is more problematic but he forgets to use his inhaler[dementia] he has steroids regularly as well and they give him a boost. he has a trimbow inhaler that he has twice a day and helps with his ventolin. he will sort himself out, washing dressing and comes down and collapses in the chair so he can get his breath back. they have stopped his physio to strengthen his left side after a ministroke, because he is so breathless. good really as he was doing them now and again, he was exhausted doing them.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I am pleased to say that though he is not right Dad is much better .
He is willing to eat now too . He had a small bowl of porridge made with milk and some cream this morning , he needs the extra calories as he’s lost so much weight.
We had a good chat last night about some things that were bothering him about his stay in hospital. To do with things that happened to him In assessment unit A
Because of his hallucinations and being somewhat difficult , he was placed there. Till I explained about that unit dad had no idea that the other patients were hw shall I put it , not quite the ticket or had dementia.
Their was one chap who kept going up to dad and hissing at him.
Poor dad couldn’t understand why, till I explained.
He now knows why the staff took his shoes and dressing gown away. He actually thought they were trying to steal them lol.

Dad looks so much better now

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
my husband has copd as well as vascular dementia and i think the copd is more problematic but he forgets to use his inhaler[dementia] he has steroids regularly as well and they give him a boost. he has a trimbow inhaler that he has twice a day and helps with his ventolin. he will sort himself out, washing dressing and comes down and collapses in the chair so he can get his breath back. they have stopped his physio to strengthen his left side after a ministroke, because he is so breathless. good really as he was doing them now and again, he was exhausted doing them.
Yes I agree the COPD is more problematic. Fortunately dads is not to bad while he uses his inhalers but.....

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Dads been wommiting again :( Poor soul was up half the night with his head in a basin. He is in bed asleep now Making up for list time.
He had some tea and biccies earlier , with no repeat performance :)

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Oh @lin1, it is a bit of a roller coaster with your father. Is there anyway to get an actual GP visit to see if they can work out what's causing the vomiting etc.
Hope he feels a bit better very soon.

InElysium

Mar 14, 2011
Sorry to hear what you're going through. Spooky that I'm in similar position with Dad who also has COPD and on identical inhalers. Except mine is non-compliant and hates any medical intervention. GPs are always saying it's up to him, I can't make him take anything.
Not sure if you Dad has a rescue kit (amoxy or doxy plus preds) but I know doxy can cause nausea / vomiting in some people?
Hope things improve for both of you.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
what inhalers does your dad have,? my husband has copd and has just got some more steroids . he does have doxy in case but really never gets infections. he has an inhaler in every room but forgets to take them so i prompt and hes fine. he has a trimbow as well. hes shielding as well.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Fingers x Dads ok now .

He’s inhalers are Sidupla (sp?) and Salbutamol but he hates using them , no idea why .

A rescue pack is a great idea ,thanks . I will have a word with the doc next time he phones.

Unfortunately getting a face to face appointment atm is near impossible, they have a number of staff in quarantine and are the vaccination hub in our area

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my doctor doesnt do the rescue pack but he has steroids for when he needs them. hes got the salbutamol and another called trimbow which he has morning and night and that has been brilliant and has improved it. his lungs are clear its his airway he has the problems with. hes had numerous x-rays. he has 2 extra ribs and an extra vertabrae we found from x-rays

InElysium

Mar 14, 2011
I do recommend arranging for a rescue pack/ kit. It saves a lot of hassle and repetition when trying to get access to quick meds whenever COPD flares up.

You can either keep hold of a paper prescription on standby or if your GP does the electronic prescriptions direct to pharmacy, just as easy to get it dispensed so it’s ready to start as soon as signs of a flare up starts.

I think the paper prescription expires after so many months as I did try at one point take it to pharmacist months later and it was no longer valid. Was a while ago so guessing maybe three months. Dad went through a good few months without flare up few years ago, hence not needing to get it made. Decided after that best to get it dispensed and put it away until needed.

It might depend on the severity of COPD and whether you’ve needed respiratory team out before but it has been a time saver not having to ring up and explain everything again to different GPs.

Once you’ve had to start the meds, you can request another in readiness for future. That’s the brilliant thing. Hope it helps.

My Dad’s on Trimbow and Salbutamol too but refuses to take them or might occasionally have a puff when it’s too late rather than preventatively.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has an inhaler in every room and physio stopped because he got so breathless and tired. we do have antibiotics for him and his steroids that he asked for this week. its dulled down a bit now so i told him to wait till he has to take them so i suppose a rescue pack but they are very reluctant as it reduces the immune system down. they always listen to his lungs and numerous x-rays have shown his lungs are clear and its his airway that is affected and he actually doesnt have a great deal of chest infections. he has to be careful what he eats as a crumb of say rice thats too dry sets him off choking him so im there for a long time rubbing and patting his back so it can loosen up and come up.