After effects of norovirus

LouiseB55

Jun 1, 2016
Hello TP. Mum has had this twice recently, her care home was closed for 3 weeks as most residents were ill with d and v. There now seems to be a marked cognitive decline and the last 2 visits she didn't recognise me. Is this normal? Physically she has recovered ok.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that all nasty infections tend to cause cognitive decline in people with dementia.
Usually its a UTI, or a chest infection, bit norovirus can do it too. My mum was never the same after a bout of this.

MrCanuck

Jun 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
It is quite common to have a decline during and after an infection. In some cases there might be improvements back to, or almost back to, the level before the infection. In other cases the recovery may be less. It all depends on the individual.

Norovirus did quite the number on my mother.

LouiseB55

Jun 1, 2016
She also seems to retain food in her mouth after eating and is dribbling constantly. It's as though the norovirus has fast forwarded the Alzheimer's disease.

MrCanuck

Jun 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
That's very similar to what we went through. After the norovirus mom lost her ability to swallow, and that soon led to a respiratory infection that she was too weak to fight. Just prior to all this she had been quite well physically (though getting frail) and had not had so much as a cold in the previous two years.

If your mom is having swallowing difficulties keep a eye out for pneumonia. Food and fluid can get into the lungs and cause infection.

Kingsbridge

Dec 8, 2019
My mums care home has a outbreak of this virus' on all three floors and staff off sick too so complete Lock down as the manager calls it haven't seen mum since last Wednesday they said she is very sleepy but has been taking some fluids I feel awful not being there

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skituscany