After Death

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Today, for probate, I had to go to swear that all I said was true following my Mum's death on July 9th. Nowhere on the probate form does it mention EPA's. So, I took her last statements, the Public Guardianship Office finalisation letter, bank statements etc. etc. I know, (and you all know if you read my TP reports from July) that it was as stated. Nothing was requested in the appointment letter but I took it all any way. The gentleman, (He really was) who saw us, (Andy and I) was really kind. He asked for proof of identiship which I provided. He then showed me a copy of Mum's will. I cried. Not his fault, just brought it all up again for me. I had to say it was hers. I then had to sign on the back. I was really crying by now, it's awful, brings it all back. He then asked me to read and declare with my hand on the Bible that what was stated in the Probate declaration was true. I then had to sign to account for this. It was and I did. He then said that that was all I had to do and the Official Grant of Representation with how ever many copies I requested would be with me within about a week. My point is, the EPA costs,-- I can't remember, and I'm in tears now, (had a couple of bevvies) But over £200, it stops at death. The probate plus 6 copies was £136, Mum paid for all her care, it goes into several thousands and yet still they creamed it in!! Sorry, can't talk any more, my Mum's gone, I really, really miss her so very much, she was my bestest friend, all my life. BUT, her fight and those of every other dementia sufferer continues!! Go for it guys, I beg of you. Love, She. XXXXXX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Sheila,

I'm so sorry to hear that yesterday has brought back all these really sad feelings for you. I had imagined that after a funeral, then the healing process would begin to take place. Of course, I hadn't considered all the other practical problems such as probate which take some months to finalise and open up wounds that are only starting to heal.

It has been a very difficult and emotional time for you, but I'm so glad that the gentleman that dealt with the administration was so kind and understanding. So often they aren't.

Thank you for sharing the moment. It was very brave of you.

Jude xxx

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Thanks Jude, I just felt it was important for others to know what to expect at the probate meeting. Especially if they did it themselves like I did. I also did all the EPA stuff myself. If I had got a solicitor to do them the cost would have been way more than stated. People need to know. Love, She. XX

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil