After a UTI?

lilaclady

Apr 11, 2016
I went to visit mum yesterday to find her poorly - the carers said she has a UTI and that she was on the 3rd day of anti biotics - mum was jerking her arms like exaggerated shaking? Shouting out and apparently leaning when she walked to the toilet? She said she wasn't in pain to me but she seemed distressed and was running a temperature. Doctor came back in the evening and said he couldn't do any more until the course of the anti biotics was finished but agreed that she was very sleepy which during the day she isn't usually - she is a walker and furniture mover.
My question is after the UTI will she go back to ' normal' or will it have made her worse? She already doesn't seem to know me and struggles to make a sentence that makes any sense but she enjoys walking the corridors and it would be a shame if this too was taken away from her although I know this is inevitable.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I doubt anyone can tell you how your mother will recover @lilaclady Many people do make a full recovery after an infection and the time varies so all you can do really is live in hope .

My husband had a few UTIs and chest infections which didn`t really make much difference to him when they cleared. He did sleep a lot but it didn`t seem because of the antibiotics or the infection because he dosed on and off most of the time.

I do hope your mother feels much better soon.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @lilaclady. I'm sorry to hear that your mum is poorly.

My experience is similar to Sylvia's. Both my mum and my husband got UTIs and chest infections constantly. I don't think they were significantly worse when they recovered from them. Also like Sylvia's husband my husband slept a lot most if the time.

It's hard to say how your mum will be as everyone is different. I hope she makes a good recovery.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum has been prescribed 2 lots of anti biotics in four years and each time has made her very sleepy with bad mobility, but she has returned to normal with just little changes, the last infection did seem to be harder to recover from, but we got there. Hope your mum makes a good recovery

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
My Mum had a chest infection followed by a UTI at the beginning of the year. I honestly thought I was going to lose her. She slept nearly all day and all night. She had problems balancing when she was walking. She hardly spoke and when she did she didn’t make sense and she almost stopped eating and drinking altogether. Even when she tested clear she was still much the same for a few weeks. However now she is so much better and much like she was prior to getting the infections. So don’t lose hope. It may take some time but hopefully things will improve xx

lilaclady

Apr 11, 2016
Thanks everyone - hopefully she will get back to where she was - pleased the care home are on the ball and she is so well looked after.