After a long time, sad news

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi everyone. I don’t know whether there’s anyone still here who remembers me, and my cries for help some years ago now, but just in case ...

Sadly, my mam passed away last month. She was 81 and had had Alzheimer’s for about 12/13 years, I think, and diagnosed when she was 70.

For almost all of that time she lived with my dad, who gave her truly exceptional care, filled with love and devotion - I’m very proud of and grateful to him for that. Sadly, following a hospital stay around the time of lockdown, during which she lost her mobility and wasn’t allowed to return home, she had to go into a nursing home. We then didn’t see her at all for several months - I know there will have been many on here who were in the same boat and, unfortunately, will understand exactly what it was like. Pretty tortuous. What a horrible year it’s been for everyone.

Eventually, garden and window visits were allowed, and apart from the Alzheimer’s, mam seemed to be in reasonably good health, and was well looked after, for which we were grateful, so it came as a huge shock when she died. Our one consolation is that it was peaceful - she just went to sleep one evening and didn’t wake up. Dad was devastated, naturally. I wasn’t sure how to feel. I’m still not, to be honest, and I still cry when I think of him getting that phone call.

But we’ve been managing okay, on the whole. We’re very close, speak most days, and see each other at least a couple of times a week - he’s in our bubble - and he’s coping with this strange new life very well, considering. He’s a mentally strong person, and also he still likes to protect me, his little girl, but I’m sure he still has his moments, in private.

So, that’s my update, after such a long absence. I’m sorry it’s such a sad one. I wasn’t sure whether to post, but friends I made here said that I should; that people who might remember me would like to know.

I keep telling myself that at long last my mam’s free. Maybe one day that’ll comfort me.

Thank you, everyone, for everything you helped me with in those early, bewildering days.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Hi @CollegeGirl I'm sorry to hear this. Your dad worked tremendously hard to look after your mum. I'm sure he is devastated.

Your mum is free and at some stage you will come to terms with this.

Sending you hugs. JM xxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for coming back and posting this, although i am sorry for your loss.
Yes, I do remember you.
Your mum is at peace now, so please be at peace yourself
xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I remember you too @CollegeGirl

Thank you for posting your sad news and please accept my deepest sympathy. You and your dad were wonderful carers for your mum and I hope this brings you consolationin the coming months. .

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I too remember you. Am so sorry to hear that your very loved mum has passed away and wish you and your dad strength for the coming months as you try to adjust your lives. You and your dad did everything you could to help and support your mum through her illness, she would be very proud of you both. Sending best wishes with a hug.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Another one here who remembers you @CollegeGirl. I’m so sorry for your loss. Sending my condolences and wishing you and your dad strength.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry for your loss of your Mum, is it wrong to say that it was a nice peaceful way for your Mum to leave, if so please accept my apologies but I wish when the time comes for my Mum that that is how she leaves us.

Take care of yourselves x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Not at all, @Jale, and no need to apologise. I think most of us would wish for a peaceful end for our loved ones, and for ourselves, come to that. I’m very thankful that there was no trauma beforehand, and that she didn’t suffer. It was just unexpected, that’s all, and has left us reeling. But for mam herself, it was the best way to go. Thank you for your kind words.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour