Advising Pensions of changes

Pollydoodle15

Jun 25, 2019
My Dad has just gone into a care home so myself and my mum have been trying to sort finances etc out. I told the Pensions people that he was now in a home and the man I spoke to mentioned something about POA and did we have it - my mum does, so I was then told we would need to send this to them, so that any correspondence would go to my mum and not the home - the man wasn't very clear with what we had to send, so when I came off the phone I was still confused as to what they needed - obviously the POA is a huge document and very important - does anyone know exactly what we need to send them please? We cant seem to take any of the legal stuff in at the moment because we're still in a state of shock that Dad has had to go in somewhere, it has all happened really quickly. Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Pollydoodle15
a warm welcome to DTP
I hope your dad settles to his new situation
you and your mum will be finding things tough at the moment
don't be afraid to take your time over any arrangements that need to be made, the money will be paid into your dad's account as it has been previously and although it's good to notify institutions of the changed circumstances, it doesn't have to be done within days

you are right to not want to let the original LPA documentation out of your mum's keeping as they cannot be replaced

if your mum has no certified copies of the documents, she needs to get a few to send those off if they are asked for (and make sure she insists on having them back) ... you might take the original to your solicitor and ask them to prepare a set of certified copies, they will make a charge for this

just to add - when you contact anyone ask them to put in writing, by letter or e-mail, what they require from an Attorney so that the Attorney can take on management of the client's (your dad's) account ... they should be able to do this as it's a general request and is not asking them to disclose any specific information on your dad's accounts ... say you simply want to be sure you send them the correct documentation in one go to deal with the matter efficiently

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point Pollydoodle15. I recently had to put the phone bill in my name as well as my partner's name and the Post Office accepted a copy of the covering letter for the POA confirming it was in operation. The Pensions people ( is that private or DWP ? ) should have an email address which you could send a written enquiry to, asking for clarification.
Good luck, and keep posting if you need any more advice or support.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum. If you don't have a certified copy already Job Centres will certify a copy of the POA for you for free - for DWP use only. When the pensions section needed a copy of Mum's POA I rang the local Job Centre and asked for an appointment to certify a POA. When I went there they photocopied the original and signed/stamped it to say that it had been certified by them and I then sent this to the pensions section (make sure that you check that they return all the pages from the original after copying!). They returned the copy once they had scanned it onto their system.