Advising DVLA

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
Does anyone know if DVLA will accept me telling them that my husband has Alzheimer’s. He recently renewed his licence without ticking the box for Alzheimer’s as he refuses to accept that he has a problem. He is an experienced driver and actually still drives well - I let him drive as much as possible in order to retain his skill but want DVLA to know and then inform insurer. I have suggested to him he take voluntary assessment but as he thinks no problem ( and perhaps is scared of losing licence - he frequently says he loves driving. Any info/experiences would be welcome.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hellp @Sue741215 and welcome to DTP
It is mandatory to inform DVLA that you have dementia, so yes, please do inform DVLA. Having dementia does not necessarily stop you driving, though. I am sure that there will be one or two of our members who have dementia coming on and telling you that they are still allowed to drive.
Usually the person with dementia gets a licence for a limited time and it has to be renewed regularly.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I am going to copy in @MartinWL as he has a PHD in this subject?? I think !!!!!!!!
I know little but would suggest you report in a way in can not be proved it was you that did it.
And if asked if it was you in the future deny, deny deny!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Sue741215
maybe the knowledge that he may be fined might spur him on
this couldn't be clearer

a diagnosis doesn't mean immediate loss of the licence, but the DVLA must be informed

and not informing his insurer may invalidate any insurance ... might your husband respond to this .... if he takes pride in his driving, maybe he will appreciate that he needs to continue being the law abiding citizen he no doubt always has been

you might also contact his GP/consultant as suggested here

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
Does anyone know if DVLA will accept me telling them that my husband has Alzheimer’s. He recently renewed his licence without ticking the box for Alzheimer’s as he refuses to accept that he has a problem. He is an experienced driver and actually still drives well - I let him drive as much as possible in order to retain his skill but want DVLA to know and then inform insurer. I have suggested to him he take voluntary assessment but as he thinks no problem ( and perhaps is scared of losing licence - he frequently says he loves driving. Any info/experiences would be welcome.
He is required by law to inform DVLA of his diagnosis, and runs the risk of having his licence revoked anyway if it comes to light that he didn't. Not informing the insurer is even more of a problem, as if anything does happen he will not be covered. It wasn't easy but I did manage to insist on both DVLA and the insurer being told within days of my husband's diagnosis.

Having sent off the forms to DVLA, our experience was that it took several months to work through the system. My husband had not been told he must not drive, and I (like you) thought he was still doing OK so didn't feel I had to tell DVLA otherwise (but would have done if need be). Eventually my husband was asked to attend for a driving assessment - this was done partly by video conference, and then he had to go to the centre to do some driving, as it happened in a locality he didn't know at all. He came out quite positive about the outcome, but on the pretext of needing the loo I went in to the offices, and was lucky enough to see the assessor who confirmed to me that she thought he was safe. I must say that everyone we encountered during this process was friendly and supportive.

Since the assessment, I have noticed that increasingly my husband does not remember the way to places, and he certainly can't do a new journey unassisted, but in terms of actually handling the car he is safe for now. Our GP told me that he's seen this before - that people with quite advanced dementia can still drive safely but need a navigator to remind them where they're going! Anyway, the assessment centre reports back to DVLA, who makes the decision about whether to issue a medical review licence. All this takes a while, especially at the moment. My husband is now on annual review. I don't let him to do anything other than short, local journeys by himself, and I think he is secretly relieved about that. You are absolutely right about your husband maintaining his skills, though - it was the first thing the OT said during the video assessment having asked my husband about his mileage.

Driving is incredibly important to my husband - he's had a unblemished career of more than fifty years - but I have made the point to him that the last thing he wants is to end up causing a hideous accident, and he agreed. Whether this will cut any ice at the point when he is told he can no longer drive is anyone's guess - we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it.

Last edited:

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
Thank you to all who replied with your helpful advice. I am aware that he can be fined and have told him so but his illness causes him to make poor decisions. He has not yet had a full diagnosis as we are awaiting an appointment. I was not sure if DVLA would quote data protection if I try to advise them. Does anyone know?Although I have POA in place our doctor advised me that medical ones only kick in when he lacks capacity so we may well be in limbo. Does anyone know if the doctor will advise DVLA if I ask him or does that need to wait for a memory clinic doctor. I would rather not advise DVLA myself as I think it would be awful if he lost trust in me. Sorry to reply with more questions but the advice you have given me has helped me to clarify what else I need to know. Thankyou again for your replies.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
If you don’t have a formal diagnosis yet, then technically your husband is not in breach of the rules. If you are confident that he is still driving safely, then you are under no obligation to tell DVLA anything. If you do think he is unsafe, you should contact DVLA direct and ask them how to proceed. As I understand it, they do not tell the driver who reported them., but you can check this when you speak to them. Your GP may be willing to help but as your husband is unlikely to have the necessary insight in the end your position is the same, because it’s information from you they’re relying on.

if the diagnosis is confirmed, my advice (from my own experience) is to get on with the DVLA forms and the insurers immediately, before any notion of ‘it’ll keep’ takes hold.

Arthurgeorge

Dec 16, 2020
You can go online on the DVLA site and tell them and it is all confidential. They sent forms to my relative and it seemed to take ages before it was sorted.

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
Thankyou again everyone for your help - it is so good to have people to contact who understand. I am very grateful and will look at the forms and consider talking to the doctor though I’m reluctant to do the latter when GPS have so much to do at present.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Hi @Sue741215 my OH lost his license November 2019, and was gutted. However, he had become dangerous. Apart from needing navigation help, he drove to close to other vehicles, drifted in and out of lanes, and just had no driver awareness of other vehicles. As my daughter said, I would never have forgiven myself if he had an accident and hurt someone. Of course he thought there was nothing wrong.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Yes you can report anonymously to DVLA but of course your husband may guess that you did it, which may affect your relationship. If possible can you get someone else to do the fifth work so that you can deny it? The worrying things here are that his insurance may no longer be valid as he has lied to DVLA and failed to tell the insurance company. The danger is that his condition might deteriorate causing danger to himself of others, as dementia is unpredictable. This could potentially happen quicker than the slow process with DVLA. I would say that morrally you should find a way to start the process, to protect innocent pedestrians and road users.

He might be allowed to continue to drive, a lot will depend on his GP report.

This is really tricky to handle as the system is so weak, and the PWD will often not acknowledge any risk. But there is a risk to other people. The whole process with the DVLA takes a long time. If you have a good rapport with his GP then he/she might help by listening to you and agreeing to keep your approach private, then the GP reporting to DVLA. But GPs vary in their attitude and some would rather not be involved.

The decision always lies with the DVLA and they will start by sending a questionnaire.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Has your husband been given a diagnoses of dementia if the answer is Yes then the Consultant would have informed him of his oblation to notify DVLA of course if he hasn’t had definite diagnoses then No why should he inform them

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
Thankyou for your reply - unfortunately there’s no simple answer to this. He had a brain scan for unrelated purpose that showed ‘Alzheimer’s like changes’ but is waiting for a consultation at a memory clinic - delayed due to cancer treatment and COVID risks.

After everyone’s helpful advice I will ensure DVLA and insurer are advised one way or another. Thankyou again to all. I’ve no doubt I’ll be back to the forum as his illness progresses - so pleased to have people to contact for experiences and advice.

Suzy C

Sep 16, 2019
Hi Sue
I don't know if DVLA will accept you telling them but my husband carried on driving for at least 4 years after being diagnosed with Alzhiemers. He absolutely loved driving. But very gradually stopped remembering routes and this began to scare him. After 4 years with everyone telling hm he should stop he was eventually assessed by an assessment centre and told he couldn't drive anymore. He had no choice but to accept this though it broke his heart and mine. If diagnosed by GP they would usually get a form to fill in annually on his abilities if he is of the age when this happens anyway.

Louisa_xapa

Dec 28, 2020
I think you have to let them know in writing.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
He would only be required to notify DVLA if hes been diagnosed
obviously in order for anyone to answer your question , they would need to know has your husband been diagnosed with dementia by a Consultant Psychists, Dementia because is not necessarily evident in everyone for a GP to make that deaccession at the surgery and in many patients it can take months of various tests prior to a diagnoses ,

also the DVLA would ask for your husbands permission / consent to write to your GP remember we have data protection issue no easy route

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
We informed the DVLA my OH had been diagnosed and they arbitrarily took his license off him. He was still a very good driver and when we spoke to the consultant she furious as it not the correct procedure apparently. Anyway he challenged that decision and passed the required assessment with flying colours and got his license back. The insurance company wasn't interested as long as he had a valid license.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
We informed the DVLA my OH had been diagnosed and they arbitrarily took his license off him. He was still a very good driver and when we spoke to the consultant she furious as it not the correct procedure apparently. Anyway he challenged that decision and passed the required assessment with flying colours and got his license back. The insurance company wasn't interested as long as he had a valid license.

Brilliant Rosetta:T. I admire you both your husband for challenging the decision and you for supporting him all the best for future :):)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi I have just had a look at a drivers licence application see PDF and there isn’t a question on { Dementia }

ok there are two questions13 and 15 but note the word in each as being Serious well I know several people with dementia but wouldn’t say they could answer either 13 or 15

Q13- A Serious problem with memory or periods of confusion

Q15- A Serious psychiatric illness or mental illness

happy drivig

Attachments

• Driving Licence Aplication copy.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 326

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It is quite absurd for the DVLA to be asking people to declare their own condition. People with dementia frequently do not appreciate that there is anything wrong at all and are the last people to judge themselves. There should be much more rigorous screening and testing of elderly drivers.