Advise please.

Julesj

Dec 7, 2021
I have just started working at a care home for dementia and alzheimers and have a couple of concerns with the moving and handling used there. First of all they use drag lifts because " if they didn't everyone would need to be hoisted" 2nd they change residents pads whilst in the hoist and 3rd they stand residents up using the underarm method. This goes against all my years of training but obviously I don't want to lose my job as I'm sure the management are aware if all of the above. Any advice as to what to do would be appreciated.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
I would be looking for another job! You are putting yourself and the residents at risk using the drag lift ( banned in 1981 by Royal College of Nursing) and changing them in a hoist is a hygiene risk not to mention the indignity of it. If the management treat their clients like this how will they treat you ? If you leave I would seriously consider reporting them to the CQC

Julesj

Dec 7, 2021
I would be looking for another job! You are putting yourself and the residents at risk using the drag lift ( banned in 1981 by Royal College of Nursing) and changing them in a hoist is a hygiene risk not to mention the indignity of it. If the management treat their clients like this how will they treat you ? If you leave I would seriously consider reporting them to the CQC

Julesj

Dec 7, 2021
Thank you do much for your reply. I'm really not comfortable with the methods they use and will certainly consider my future there. I will approach management but I think I'll lose my job.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@Julesj . If recent news reports are correct there is a shortage of care workers
Try to find another job and report this care home to the relevant authorities.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the underarm lifts could pull joints out of sockets. it risks you and your back and joints along with their joints. they are so frail and owners need to attend a training course on moving and handling. there is also health and safety laws. dignity and respect and privacy not given if changing pads in hoists but also hygiene and infection control not adhered to. please dont put yourself at risk and it could well be a safeguarding issue as well because practices put the residents at risk.