Advise needed

CAL28

Aug 25, 2014
Dorset
Hi, I help my Dad care for my Mum who has Alzheimer's and have noticed that my Dad has started to get more forgetful and I don't know what to do. I don't think Dad would take kindly to me mentioning it as he is very independent and took ages to get Mum diagnosed as he kept saying there was nothing wrong.Has anyone else had to deal with this and if so what did you do?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Is it an issue or is it just him getting old? It could just be the stress and possibly sleepless nights living with your Mum or there may be some underlying medical condition. My children say I'm getting more forgetful but I'm sat here at 4.45 in the morning and who knows when I'll get back to bed.
I said on here (a few days ago) that I hide the reality of the situation from my children to some extent I'd hate to think that they thought I was losing the plot when mainly it's just because I'm only half awake.
I do think you have to allow for the fact people do slow down as they get older and what you'd really need to do is look at how he is compared to people of his own age but either way if you have any concerns you could suggest he visits the doctors just to get checked out, there could be any number of health issues so an overall physical check wouldn't be a bad thing, as a carer the doctors may give him some more attention given as he (and you) are saving the NHS a fortune looking after your Mum.
K

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I agree that it could be tiredness/old age or even depression. Perhaps you could phone your Dad's GP and ask them to contact your Dad with the suggestion that they are giving health checks to carers/people over a certain age?

Take care

Lyn T XX

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
I agree with previous posts that some form of assessment is needed. Unfortunately memory tests alone are unlikely to give a comprehensive picture of how your dad is at this moment in time. He is so fortunate that you are keeping a watchful eye on his welfare.