Advice

Red

Oct 9, 2006
We have just found out that my grandma has dementia. Although we had our suspicions it has still come as a great shock. It is made doubly hard in that my grandad is suffering from lung cancer and has rapidly gone down hill over the last week or so.

Grandma still recognises us all but has other memory problems and odd behaviour.

Not really sure why i've posted - just wanted some general advice in how to cope with it all and what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Can't give "advice", each situation is so different, but the more you tell us about your family's experiences the more likely you are to find others in here who've been through similar.

Lila

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hello Red, welcome to TP. Sounds like you have a lot to cope with with both grandparents being ill. It's good that you found us. Like Lila says, it's difficult to give general advice because every situation is different. It's good that you posted though cos it makes a connection with other people who are going through similar things.

I guess perhaps my "general advice" would be:

Find out as much as you can about the illnesses you're up against.
Find out as much as you can about the possible sources of support you can access.
Talk about what's happening and your anxieties with friends and family (and anyone who'll listen)
Be kind to yourself, and generous to yourself in allowing yourself to have whatever emotions you have about this whole wretched thing.

If there are other things you want more specific advice with, or you just want to chat or sound off about stuff, there's always someone around on TP who will be able to listen and hopefully to help.

best wishes

Áine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA