Advice would be appreciated

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Alan's cataract operation has come through and it will take place next Thursday, 31st July. They pulled all the stops out on this one.

However, Alan now has a cough. It seems to be a tickly cough but we never have coughs usually so I don't know much about them. I've never had one although I smoked for years in the past. I went to the chemist and bought him some linctus and I've made a saucepan full of lemon, ginger and honey which he can drink whenever he wants. I also thought it might be hayfever related so I've given him a hayfever tablet.

I am worried that if it doesn't clear up they won't operate because he has to stay still for 20 minutes.

If any of you are familiar with coughs, could you please advise and also tell me whether you feel it warrants a visit to the doctor.

By the way the lady at the chemist said after I told her he was 78 "what medication is he on?". I said "he isn't on any medication". She said "what nothing at all?" and I said "he hasn't had to have any medication for anything for years". She looked gobsmacked:)

Love Helen

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I would suggest a visit to the GP. If there's an infection it may need to be treated, but more importantly, the GP will be able to advise about the operation.

Not to sound negative, but they are unlikely to operate on someone they know has any sort of infection, as the risks to that patient (infections always increase risk from surgery and as you point out, it is vital that he stays still during this one) are too high.

Not to mention bringing someone with an infection into the hospital environment.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks Nebiroth

I'm going to make an appointment right now. Thank you.

Helen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
If any of you are familiar with coughs, could you please advise and also tell me whether you feel it warrants a visit to the doctor.

My daughter is Asmatic, I was told that if she cough up green Flem that its an infection .

So unless my mother cough up green Flem I don't take her to the Doctors .

Normal Over the canter cough mixture from the chemist clears it up .

lemon, ginger and honey which he can drink whenever he wants.

We also do that at home really does help , but with mum she like her cough mixture

May not sound nice , but if your husband coughing up Flem. Check what color it is as long as its not green, they no need to go to the Doctor ,

Last edited:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen,

If it's a dry tickly cough it's likely to be hay-fever related.
Midlands just now is high for pollen count...Atchoo.....:eek:

Bung some vaseline up Alan's nostrils..as well as what you're doing already..Vaseline will trap the pollen grains and prevent them from entering the respiratory tract.

As Maggie said..if he's not coughing up anything green it probably isn't an infection.

There is a simple linctus you can buy which has Codeine in it..it's brilliant for tickly coughs.

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen.

I do hope the operation doesn`t have to be delayed. Mine had to be delayed as I had a migraine and the surgeon refused to operate with a migraine.

It really would be best to let the GP sound Alan`s chest for an infection. I hope it is hay fever.

Love xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Yes, usually a chest infection involves coughing up green (nasty). However, that is not always the case. It is quite possible it is due to some allergy, exposure to an irritant of some sort, etc. However, given that the gentleman is due to have an operation, then it would be best to get medical advice rather than wait and see what happens.

But the main consideration is the forthcoming operation. Don;t forget to remind the GP about this, as he or she may not have noticed that this is due shortly.

I've always felt that it's better safe than sorry. You also won;t all the trauma and fuss of getting Alan to the eye clinic, him having a good cough as he goes through the door and their cancelling the operation with all that entails.

I always say: better safe, than sorry.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks everyone

Alan's booked in to see prescribing nurse on Thursday. He's not coughing up anything just coughing. I will bung some vaseline up his nostrils tonight (would never have thought of that). He never snores, so if he starts snoring through vaseline invaded nostrils, I will know who to blame:D

Alan's son came tonight to take him out and he said that he'd noticed Alan had been coughing for quite a number of weeks:eek:
I hadn't noticed - it's made me doubt myself though. Anyway Alan seems generally fine in himself and he says he feels o.k.

Fingers crossed his op wont have to be delayed.

Love to you all

Helen

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Nebiroth

Don;t forget to remind the GP about this, as he or she may not have noticed that this is due shortly

Thanks - very good point.

Love Helen

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Helen

Surprised gigi hasn't beaten me to it -- Manuka honey!

It has great antiseptic and antiviral qualities. They're using it at Christie's cancer hospital in Manchester for throat cancer, and it's also supposed to be good for stomach ulcers.

I credit it with reducing John's infections, and helping his heel to heal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3787867.stm

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Hazel

Thank you for the link - very interesting. I use honey a lot but have never used manuka honey. They say make sure it is UMF manuka honey - is it the stuff one can buy at Holland & Barratt?
Also for a cough would you recommend a spoonful as it is or mixed in with lemon and ginger? I am just wondering whether you know whether heat might take out the goodness?

Love Helen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If none of these things work there is a prescription medication which can stop the spasms just like that - it's name escapes me though :rolleyes: I do know you have to be careful taking it because if you accidentally crush the tablet when swallowing you can choke because it paralyses the muscles of something :eek:

As a matter of interest - can you still buy Doctor Collis Brown's linctus over the counter? I used to swear by that.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Yes, it's the stuff from H&B. You have to get at least UMF10 for it to be effective. Some supermarkets sell it but it's often a blend.

I don't know whether heat would affect it, I just give John a teaspoonful after lunch and tea. Then he has a hot drink, so that it doesn't stick to his teeth, so I can't see that giving him it in a drink would matter. You could always ask H&B, they're pretty good with queries.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I have come back from Greece with a really bad cough which for the last 2 days has left me with no voice (and I mean not even a squeak).

I swear by Vick, but today somebody recommended that instead of putting it on my chest I rub it on the soles of my feet. :confused:

My BIL rubs it on his (bald) head when he has a headache. My mum put it on my broken arm :eek: It didn't work and she had to take me to the doctor who put it in plaster and never asked what the smell was...

Will let you know if it works on my feet! (And no, I haven't been drinking!!)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sue

My mum put it on my broken arm It didn't work and she had to take me to the doctor who put it in plaster and never asked what the smell was...

You've just had me in stitches. What with me having to stuff vaseline up his nose and massage Vick into his feet, I reckon I might get done for elder abuse:D

I think I'll stick with the Manuka honey - thanks.:)

Love Helen

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Now Hazel.....
Surprised gigi hasn't beaten me to it -- Manuka honey!
...:rolleyes::eek:

I'd never thought of Manuka Honey in relation to chesty coughs...

It's worth a try...

I do know that local honey is good for treating the symptoms of hay fever..but it takes a while to get into the system and build up immunity...

Love gigi xx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Quote :I am worried that if it doesn't clear up they won't operate because he has to stay still for 20 minutes.

If any of you are familiar with coughs, could you please advise and also tell me whether you feel it warrants a visit to the
doctor. End Quote :

Yes a problem if you cannot keep still when operated on your eyes.
Mum had the same op 12 month's ago. She had to keep very still.
See your doctor:)
Love Barb & Ron XX

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Got the Manuka honey

Got the manuka honey today - £15.50!!!! Still Alan's worth it. Couldn't believe the price. I've been telling everyone that I'm trying Alan on the honey and everyone seems to know about it and they all say it's fantastic.

Alan is seeing a prescribing nurse at the GP's surgery tomorrow afternoon. He is not coughing so often today but seems to be full of hay fever. His nose is running clear water!!

I have a feeling that he'll be on top of it by next week. Everything crossed.

The Occupational Therapist came today to say that it was the last visit but that she will come once a month for an hour just until a buddy is found for Alan. I told them that Alan is clearly benefitting in spirit and now talks to people about her coming, only for it to end just as he's relaxed into it:(

Love to you all

Helen

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It is expensive, but at two teaspoonfuls a day a jar lasts me a fortnight, so it's not that bad. Much less than the petrol taking it to him!

Shame the OT is coming to an end, hope you get something else sorted soon.

Love,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew