Advice with difficult situation

woosie31

Sep 12, 2013
Hi there,

My nan has been diagnosed with Dementia, it has progressively gotten worse over the last year. The difficulty we are having is that my nan has a "male friend" that stays with her and has done for years. I'm not disputing that he has provided alot of her care over the last year. My problem is that I fear she is being financially abused. My nan has no idea how much or how little money she has left, nor does she remember who has power of attourney, we believe it is my uncle, but he lives over 200 miles away from my nan. Is there a way to find this out? We have asked my uncle and he tries everyway to avoid giving a direct answer (that in itself is another story!).

We have contacted social services in the past and flagged up a safeguarding issue, but they didnt even visit!! They rang my nans house, and he answered and told them everything was hunky dory!

Its very frustrating, he is refusing that she needs carers and my nan is petrified of him and goes along with anything he says!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi woosie

Welcome to Talking Point!

I'm sorry I've no concrete advice to offer you, just wanted to make sure you got a friendly hello.

It does sound extremely frustrating to know that something is not quite right but be unable to do anything about it. Just an idea put could you have a word with the police and ask their advice about what evidence they need to investigate this person, the same with her bank? They don't have to give you any information about her so there's not data protection problems, you just need to inform them. At least that might set some alarm bells ringing.

Best wishes, it's lovely you are so concerned about your gran, many grandchildren seem to pretend theirs don't exist

Hugs

MaddenedMick

Jun 4, 2013
nor does she remember who has power of attourney, we believe it is my uncle
I am fairly certain that if you apply to the Office of the Public Guardian, they can tell you if there is a deputee. They should also be able to tell you if there is a POA.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I am fairly certain that if you apply to the Office of the Public Guardian, they can tell you if there is a deputee. They should also be able to tell you if there is a POA.

If it is the old style EPA and it's not registered, I don't think they have a record of it, so there could be an unregistered EPA that is being used but you are right the best place to go is the OPG and the form is an OPG100. A negative response from them doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one, just that it's not registered.

If it's not registered the donor can remove it at any time on request, if it is registered it has to be removed by the court of protection.

I don't know how the LPA's work as no experience of those.