Advice urgently needed re bed protection please!

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
He's going home tomorrow, has a hospital bed from OT. He is doubly incontinent and has diarrhea at the moment....he is reluctantly wearing small inco pads, refuses pullups despite best efforts of hospital. Protecting his bed won't help his bandaged legs, but might help keep his carers on board....no idea what to do about keeping his skin relatively protected. He has capacity.....carers and DN have already threatened not to come if he won't wear inco stuff....don't blame them!....but don't know how to deal with this and not many more days before OH comes home

Any suggestions gratefully received....will have to be available on Amazon for quick delivery as OH has no car

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
two minds with but a single thought ;) he's got some of those in already as 'emergency in case I can't get the proper stuff' but does he need to get 'kylie' sheets etc (have seen them mentioned by other people but don't know if they're suitable for double incontinence or just urinary?)

thank you for getting back to me so fast :)

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
Do you not get free incontinence pads from incontinence nurse if not go to his doctor and they should refer Incon Nurse to him and they will get pads I didnt know I could get on NHS and was spending fortune for hubbys until found out through friend I also buy terry toweling waterproof backed fitted sheets from B&M or Dunelm or Amazon and large childrens bed protectors

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
thank you @archiebald .....we'll investigate that tho it will take time as he is due home tomorrow, hence the rush to get it set up! Are Kylie bedsheets a specific brand or is it the description of protective sheets......is it best to go by price or are the cheaper ones just as efficient? Sorry for qs....this is a whole new world!

Careroncoffee

Feb 16, 2018
Watford, Hertfordshire
Hi @charlie10 before buying a fitted waterproof protector, check with the OT that they are compatible with the hospital bed mattress. They reduce the pressure relief capabilities of some mattresses. Some mattresses are not designed to work with fitted sheets either.

I resorted to buying a dozen cheap mattress protectors, the ones with the elastic straps, for mum. They weren’t waterproof, but as the mattress cover is, clean ups were relatively easy. They also dry a lot quicker than waterproof ones.

When mum was in her own bed I used waterproof mattress covers from John Lewis. They’re a bit more expensive but don’t ‘crunch’ like others and are more comfortable to sleep on. They did take a long time to dry tho.

Good luck.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If buying kylie sheets buy the trademark ones rather than cheaper alternatives. They are a bit dearer but do the job well of protecting the bed. Three is about right. One on and two to change. If the kylie sheet is wet straight in the WM but no conditioner. I always have one drying, one on the bed and another on standby.

The pads from the Inco nurse come in plus size and those plus plastic pants should help.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You might need to contact the local Council waste dept. to get larger/ more waste bins to dispose of used pads, sheets etc. Round here neighbours were given extra/ special bins.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
thank you everyone for your very helpful replies......forwarding them to OH ready for his next panic. Unfortunately new crisis is that the hospital bed has arrived and he is unable to get on/off it....apparently the nurses had been lifting his legs for him, but physio said he'd met his milestones and was doing well....do they not talk to each other!! He's decided to spend all his time in his chair (confused about controls for that and bad for pressure sores, so OH will be bald by the time he gets home :()

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
thanks @TNJJ......my husband is now back home and his brother visits a couple of times a week. FiL has a care visit in the morning and then manages by himself....his choice. Fortunately he has regained enough mobility to shuffle between the microwave and his bed and chair, and he seems to be a little less confused now he is home. Now that our contact is by phone, neither he or BiL mention continence, so we just have to hope that all is well. But you're right, it's never easy....even when you're not directly involved there's always that little bit of dread sitting in the back of your mind......