Advice sought...

Daidswife

Apr 2, 2020
We as a family look after my Gran who stays at home. We are getting little to no help from her GP’s as we have refused to put her in a nursing home. Her behaviour is getting worse, agitation, a little more aggressive, basically the usual dementia traits. My plan was to change surgeries but in the current situation that’s been put on the back burner. My question I suppose is.., where can we go for help, can we ask to be referred to the memory clinic (she was discharged after diagnosis 2017)?
Our situation with the surgery is complicated as Gran had been being treated for end of life care Dec-Feb, was admitted to hospital and made a remarkable recovery, since then the GP’s have changed their attitude towards us, bizarrely.
Thanks for reading x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello and welcome to the forum @Daidswife.

I don't think it would do any harm to get back to the GP and ask for a referral to the Memory Clinic.

Do you have any support at home for your gran - e.g. help with personal care etc? If the Social Work Department is involved with your gran then I would get in touch with the care manager and explain that your gran's needs are needing re-assessed.

It might be an idea to give the Admiral Nurses a ring and talk through the situation with someone there -

I'm glad you found the forum. You'll get lots of help and support here - keep posting.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi

When my late wife was discharged from the memory clinic 2 years after diagnosis, they said that I could contact them if circumstances changed, without needing a referral from our GP.

May be worth contacting them direct to see if that's possible for your Gran - obviously depending on current crisis?

Phil

Daidswife

Apr 2, 2020
Sorry for the delay... Thank you for replying.
Gran has emergency carers from the social work dept, her package hasn’t been picked up by a provider yet.
I’ve requested a referral back to the memory clinic but the referral system is closed at the moment.