Advice re. Planning for future for parents and support available

Timbo654

Sep 27, 2013
Hello all

I have joined this forum to seek some advice following my mom being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. My mom and dad live about an hour away from us and my 80 yr old dad, who, apart from diabetes is in relatively good health, is her main carer. They live in their own home but I have quickly become aware that this situation is not sustainable. My main concern being what would happen if anything happened to dad? I am certain that mom would not cope.
I desperately try to think of plans that could be put in place in order to prepare for all possibilities but each time I try to discuss the future and all possibilities with them, the shutters go up. I try to understand that it must be terribly hard for them to have to confront these issues but I can't stand to keep seeing dad struggling on with daily life and doing everything when there are alternatives that would make life so much easier and safer for both of them. I go as often as I can and am there regularly but this is no substitute for, as an example, an assisted living complex. There is one near us and each time I attempt to approach the subject I am met with resistance, even though I know they have considered this. how on earth do I have that frank conversation with them?

Also, what is a good place to start for me to make certain they have availed themselves of all support available to them? I am aware of the AD society and SS (but mum would deeply resent this) but what else is out there in terms of practical help and support?

Thank you in advance for any advice
Tim

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could check whether they own their house as joint tenants or tenants in common.

If joint tenants and one of them dies their beneficial share passes to the survivor without any reference to the deceased's will.

If tenants in common their share will be passed on according to their will.

With joint tenancy if your Mom is in a home and your Dad predeceases her the whole value of the property is included in any financial assessment by the LA. With tenants in common assuming your Dad left his half to A N Other only the value of half the property can be included.

The bible for how LA handle care fees is

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/charging-for-residential-accommodation-guide-crag-2011

and the section about valuing property in the tenants in common situation is

Joint beneficial ownership of property
Where a resident is a joint beneficial owner of property, i.e. he has the right to receive some of the proceeds of a sale, it is the resident's interest in the property which is to be valued as capital, and not the property itself. The value of this interest is governed by

1. the resident's ability to re-assign the beneficial interest to somebody else
2. there being a market i.e. the interest being such as to attract a willing buyer for
the interest. Regulation 27(2)

In most cases there is unlikely to be any legal impediment preventing a joint beneficial interest in a property being re-assigned. But the likelihood of there being a willing buyer will depend on the conditions in which the joint beneficial interest has arisen.

Where an interest in a property is beneficially shared between relatives, the value of the resident's interest will be heavily influenced by the possibility of a market amongst his fellow beneficiaries. If no other relative is willing to buy the resident's interest, it is highly unlikely that any "outsider" would be willing to buy into the property unless the financial advantages far outweighed the risks and limitations involved. The value of the interest, even to a willing buyer, could in such circumstances effectively be nil. If the local authority is unsure about the resident's share, or their valuation is disputed by the resident, again a professional valuation should be obtained.

The onus is on the LA to prove that the half house has some value.

Last edited:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Get Lasting Power of Attorney, both Health & Welfare, and Financial, in place with the Certificate Provider being their GP.
As soon as possible, you may not need this at present, but when you do, you will be very glad, you have it!
Contact the Office of the Public Guardian. They will send you the forms, don't be put off by the size of the forms!!!! They are quite simple, if you take one question at a time.

Bod

Timbo654

Sep 27, 2013
Thank you to people who have responded to my question. Your answers were very much appreciated. Tim

Timbo654

Sep 27, 2013
Thank you to people who have responded to my question. Your answers were very much appreciated. Tim