Advice re benefits

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Kapow, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Kapow

Kapow New member

Nov 17, 2019
    Hi...I am new on here and would like some advice,mostly regarding what benefits may be available to myself and possibly my husband.He has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia and obviously he has had to give up driving for instance and I don't drive.Thanks in advance.

2. silkiest

silkiest Registered User

Feb 9, 2017
    Hi Kapow I have recently seen a very clear easy to read guide on 'later life care' on which.co.uk The claim form for attendance allowance (for your husband)is very lengthy but your local age concern should be able to help you fill it in and advise re other benefits and local support.
    Once your husband has attendance allowance you may be able to claim carers allowance depending on your age and financial circumstances
    Good luck

3. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    Start with organising Power of Attorney for Finance and Health and Welfare. Register immediately. If money is tight you can download the forms and do it yourself instead of using a solicitor.

Apply for Attendance Allowance and once you have it you can get reduced council tax - none at all for husband and 75% for you. You can apply for Carers Allowance.

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
  5. Roseleigh

Roseleigh Registered User

Dec 26, 2016
    Kapow could you learn to drive? A family member can still teach you.

6. Olliebeak

Olliebeak Registered User

Sep 13, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    Hello Kapow.

There is a benefit calculator https://www.turn2us.org.uk/
    Or drop in to your local Citizens Advice - they can help you look at benefits and advise on POA.

7. Kapow

Kapow New member

Nov 17, 2019
    Hi.....yes,I am thinking about doing this..