Advice pls re moving from own home to care home

Twinmum

Oct 20, 2013
Morning

Yesterday my Dad had an appointment at our Hospital within the Mental Unit.
I was glad to see the Doctor as we had seen him when Dad was first referred to the Memory Clinic, although Dad did not recognise him.

I explained how I feel now, dont feel my dad is safe at home anymore, several issues have occurred during the night, making myself ill and at last the doctor agreed with me, he now needs 24 hour care.

The doctor advised me to ring the Social Worker and they will explain the way forward. When i phoned her, i received the usual "oh im too busy at the moment, you will need to speak to another department". I will have to call her again on Monday but just wondered what is the next step ??

My Dad also owns his home, how do I find out about deferring the payment of his care as his house needs modernising.

Thanks for any advice

Twinmum

Oct 20, 2013
Thank you for your advice, interesting to read.

I will email SW again on Monday and keep pushing for her to reply

Brgds

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
A few phases to use.......vulnerable adult, duty of care. On the phone a few sobs are also reported to help.
In the mean time google care homes in your chosen location. A few can be ruled out immediately, low scores, location etc. Then visit, no appointment, but avoid meals. Walk in, big sniff. Smells ok continue, its often the feel of a place, are residents clean, reasonably dressed. Are staff visible, interacting with them, any evidence of activities ( bowling pins on floor, snakes and ladders board on floor). 5* decor is nice but homely feel better.
What sold me on my mother’s care home was the cat that greeted me, and the cat on a residents lap, it put the final stamp of approval.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I went by the feel & vine of the home & the welcome you get whether by phone, email or private visit & of course did people look well looked after.
Some welcomes we had were not welcomes, the home where we were genuinely & warmly welcomed was the one we went for & indeed my mum is there now.
We are coming to the end of the 12 week disregard period where by social services have paid the care home fee - we need to pay the top up fee.
We now need to do another financial assessment & I will be going for a deferred payment. My mum owns her own home but her savings are below the threshold. We’ll see what happens next!

Twinmum

Oct 20, 2013
Thank you for your replies.
Feel like im going backwards with Social Care.

Social Care in our area have all had a rearrangement in their offices and at the moment I do not have a Social Worker. Someone from Social Care phoned me today and can only see us next Thursday. I asked about respite care and was told he could not have any, till an assessement has been carried out.

Yet the GP, told me i do not need an assessement for emergency respite care.
Suppose thats the case if you can afford your own care, but unfortunately my Dad cannot.

Just feel no one wants to help, making myself ill with worry.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thank you for your replies.
Feel like im going backwards with Social Care.

Social Care in our area have all had a rearrangement in their offices and at the moment I do not have a Social Worker. Someone from Social Care phoned me today and can only see us next Thursday. I asked about respite care and was told he could not have any, till an assessement has been carried out.

Yet the GP, told me i do not need an assessement for emergency respite care.
Suppose thats the case if you can afford your own care, but unfortunately my Dad cannot.

Just feel no one wants to help, making myself ill with worry.

Unfortunately you need to keep on at them & basically make a nuisance of yourself to get heard & get action to be taken. Don’t get fobbed off!
Ring Social Services again & tell them that you cannot cope with the situation & that they need to step in urgently. Each social worker will have a manager & they have a manager etc.
I used to work in a Social Services department so I know how it works & one of my Group Manager’s used to get regular phone calls about stuff going wrong.