Advice please :)

Pitcher15

Dec 23, 2012
Bridport, dorset
I'm so confused! We're currently in the process of putting my dad into a carehome, he's been in hospital after he had a seizure about 5 weeks ago, we then decided we couldn't do it anymore, he wasn't happy and we were running ourselves into the ground, and only being 25 and 23 me and my brother decided it was time for a care home. However, this is where it gets complicated! We found a care home that's accepted him and we're due for a financial assessment on Monday which I'm hoping may shed some light on some situation but I wondered if anyone on here could help as I cannot sleep through worrying! Me and my brother still live at home as we were caring for dad, the house is in him name as my mum died 3 years ago. We think he may be self funded and are quite happy for the house to fund his care, however, we would like to stay in the property until we can sort ourselves out and find somewhere to live! All we need is a year or so, just to sort through everything in the house and set ourselves up somewhere else. We can't afford to pay the mortgage on our own as dad has been paying the bills and the mortgage with his pension while we cared for him. Does anyone know a way we can stay in the house with dad still paying the mortgage? Thank you :)

Blimey

Jun 6, 2012
mmm sorry don't really know legal position for you and brother but rules have changed and don't think people have to sell their homes to fund care anymore. If your in UK I think a legal charge goes on the deeds meaning that when he dies and the property is sold the care would be funded out of the proceeds. Can't think why he couldn't continue to pay mortgage if that's what he wants to do with his income and he has nothing else he needs. Do you and your brother have power of Attorney?

I am sure if you google you should be able to find enough information to set your mind at ease. Perhaps someone else will be able to give you a more conclusive answer. I hope you manage to work it out ok, you are both too young to find yourselves in this sad situation and my thoughts are with you.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Pitcher 15
If you are both in work, maybe you taking over all the bills and paying your dad some rent might tide you over while you make all the sale arrangements - it sounds a lot for your dad to pay for his care home and a mortgage, but maybe he has enough income and savings?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew