Advice please

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi. It's nice that the sun is shining and it does feel spring like today. I have been to see mom today, as normal she was fast asleep when we got there. She has had a new bed to stop bed sores. We were told today that mom fell asleep last night during her evening meal, so they put her to bed at 7.30pm. They had to wake her this morning at 8.30am to get showered and have her breakfast. We got there at 10.30 and she was in such a deep sleep, it took me a couple of minutes to wake her. We walked her to another room where all she wanted to do was sleep. Has anybody else found this with their loved ones please? Quite concerned, she seems to be sleeping all night and then most of the day even when being fed. Thank you. Xxx

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mom has sleepy weeks. It was stated that if she does not have fever or other symptom, let her sleep. But if she is without any fluid intake for more than 6 hrs call emergency.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
6 hrs, BR_ANA? Most people sleep longer than that! OH can sleep for 17 hrs, sometimes wakes up and wants a drink, but not often. On the other hand, he drinks enough when he's awake.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband has days when he sleeps too. There never seems to be a reason for it other than he chooses to. There are days when his fluid intake is low or he does not eat and then there are days when he eats and drinks for England.

Francine

Aug 28, 2012
Hi Wendy C.

I haven't posted here for a while, as my Mum sadly passed away a couple of years ago now - but I do remember she had very sleepy spells as well. Some of it was due to the sheer effort of her poor brain having to cope with everything, but other times it was down to the medication she was on at the time.

It may just be worth checking to see if the tiredness may be partly due to any medication she is on at the moment? Or maybe even a change in her medication.

Hope this may be of some help,

Best wishes

Francine.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My now late mother used to sleep ( deep sleep too) on and off all day long and would still be dead beat by 6pm. If I could keep her up until the end of the news I was doing well. she'd then go to bed and sleep right through, and i'd have a job to wake her for her carer at 8am the next morning.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Thank you for all your responses. Seems all the sleep is part of the illness. So sad as my mom was always such an energetic person, and now she can't walk on her own, feed herself, she would be devastated. Hate this awful disease. Mxx

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Getting worse

Hi. Not had a good week with Mom. On Monday they informed me that due to moms mobility getting worse they are going to start using a hoist to get her into her wheelchair to transport her about. I had noticed her mobility was getting worse, so it was just a matter of time. It hurts, my Mom never walking again. Yesterday the doctor came in to assess her. Decision was to take mom off her medication as they feel its not doing her any good. The carers have trouble giving mom her medication as she won't open her mouth and then does not swallow Doctor also said the words "severe altzheimers" Wow that hit me hard. I think i knew, but hearing it from the doctor was very final. I took my mom outside in her wheelchair in the sun. She did not understand what was going on. She used to love sitting in the sun watching the world go by. Going to see her again today, need to see her as much as possible.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi. Not had a good week with Mom. On Monday they informed me that due to moms mobility getting worse they are going to start using a hoist to get her into her wheelchair to transport her about. I had noticed her mobility was getting worse, so it was just a matter of time. It hurts, my Mom never walking again. Yesterday the doctor came in to assess her. Decision was to take mom off her medication as they feel its not doing her any good. The carers have trouble giving mom her medication as she won't open her mouth and then does not swallow Doctor also said the words "severe altzheimers" Wow that hit me hard. I think i knew, but hearing it from the doctor was very final. I took my mom outside in her wheelchair in the sun. She did not understand what was going on. She used to love sitting in the sun watching the world go by. Going to see her again today, need to see her as much as possible.

Yes, from what you have said, I think that going to see her as much as possible is a good idea
(((hugs))))

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Thank you all. Have been to see mom today, watched her being hoisted out of her chair into wheelchair. She was very vacant today. Did manage to get an hello out of her, but it took a lot of persuasion. She looks a lost soul. I am sure there are hundreds out there that wished there was a little pill, and then no more suffering. Cruel horrible disease. :mad:

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Sending you a hug

So sorry Wendy. It sounds like your Mum is not agitated or upset so at least you have that. Its probably harder for you watching than for her.

We are all with you. You are not alone. Keep posting please and just live for today. Dementia is so hard and terrible. We are all watching people we love die a little bit each day.

Love Quilty

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
Thank you all. Have been to see mom today, watched her being hoisted out of her chair into wheelchair. She was very vacant today. Did manage to get an hello out of her, but it took a lot of persuasion. She looks a lost soul. I am sure there are hundreds out there that wished there was a little pill, and then no more suffering. Cruel horrible disease. :mad:

Hi Wendy C, my Mum is in last/severe stage vascular dementia and one thing I have noticed is the amount of sleeping that she does and also the vacant look when she is awake. This to me has increased so much to the fact that when I go to visit her in the nursing home I am lucky if I see her awake. Everything else has gone to the point that she is hoisted, cannot speak, does not know me, totally incontinent, so so sad and I do agree about the little pill for no more suffering. 5 years now this illness my Mum has suffered to the point I think and feel how much longer! She is know having swallowing problems and I know this is common with late stage dementia but then how cruel again, more suffering for her and for me as her daughter to witness. My thoughts are with you for the future we have to stay strong, but always not that easy xx

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi Wendy C, my Mum is in last/severe stage vascular dementia and one thing I have noticed is the amount of sleeping that she does and also the vacant look when she is awake. This to me has increased so much to the fact that when I go to visit her in the nursing home I am lucky if I see her awake. Everything else has gone to the point that she is hoisted, cannot speak, does not know me, totally incontinent, so so sad and I do agree about the little pill for no more suffering. 5 years now this illness my Mum has suffered to the point I think and feel how much longer! She is know having swallowing problems and I know this is common with late stage dementia but then how cruel again, more suffering for her and for me as her daughter to witness. My thoughts are with you for the future we have to stay strong, but always not that easy xx

Thank you Flower1. It sounds like we are more or less in the same position with our Moms. Its the cruelest thing we have to witness, and I know my Mom would not want me to watch her slowly disappear. My Mom also has swallowing problems, she is on pureed food and holds onto it in her mouth, same with her drinks which are now thickened. The doctor told me this week that she does not know who we are but recognises our faces, that is why she smiles at us sometimes. He said recognition is one of the last things to go, so making the most of her smiles. You take care. :) xx

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015

Hello there

Over the last 6 months my mother as started sleeping more and more to point she now is barely awake. I struggle to wake her and if I do she looks at me through half opened eyes with no acknowledgement. Its the lack of acknowledgement/recognition Im struggling with.
A big hug to you xxx

Magimum

Sep 5, 2013
Wendy, from what you describe my mum's similar to yours I think, has lost a lot of weight over the past few weeks as she has begun to refuse food and fluids. She's not having those sleepy episodes though. But does the holding food in her mouth thing.

Hope you get more sunny days with her.

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone else has had my experience. My Mom was taken off her medication a week ago, as doctor said it was doing her any good, and I agreed with him. The doctor informed me that Mom may deteriorate quite quickly. It has been the exact opposite She is not as sleepy, smiles a lot, has spoken a few words and quite clearly and seems to understand what is being said to her. I know she is not getting better, which is so sad, but she is more like my Mom than she has been in months. Feel have had a couple of good visits and it was a pleasure to see my Mom happy. :):D:p