Advice please

mackie

Feb 9, 2015
Hi, I'm new to TP and would like some advice please. My mum has rapidly gone downhill in the last month whcih resulted in a fall at home and is now in hospital. They have ascertained that she has not broken anything or sustained a head injury but are keeping her in as she is not responding to walking and is basically very confused. I managed to get her up yesterday and walking with help but am worried that they will keep her in hospital where she is not going to improve. I have spoken to SS and they are coming to visit and discuss options but that could be in a couple of days. I am not happy about her staying in hospital as she will go backwards rather than forwards. I had to feed her yesterday as the nurses just leave the food and walk off. I am tempted to bring her home against their wishes as I have POA but am worried that she may have an accident at home and then i would never forgive myself. Any advice would be appreciated as I am really worried and stressed at the moment.

Thanks

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Welcome to TP.
Sorry to hear your mum is in hospital.

Sounds like the ward mum is on is not very Dementia aware . Do have a talk with the ward sister or at least with mums named nurse. It may be that any info you gave about mum may not have been passed on.
Find out if they have the think it's called
The Purple Angel scheme.
It is a picture that goes on the wall near the bed and reminds staff that the person has Dementia , so may need extra help.

I am sure others will be along soon with more advise.

I hope mum recovers fully and hope she doesn't have to stay in hospital much longer.

It really isn't on just leaving a tray of food and walking away when people like your mum need help. So please please do complain, many hospitals use red trays to remind staff that this person needs help.

Last edited:

mackie

Feb 9, 2015
Thank you for the advice - much appreciated. Mum is being moved to a more appropriate ward tomorrow so hopefully things will improve.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew