advice please

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
Mum lives on her own as yet and has a fair bit of company (and assistance) through the day, but is on her own at night from about 8 o' clock. She has got to the stage where she tells us daily that people have been at her house at night, a man and woman. At first (having learnt better!) we used to tell her that nobody had been to her house, but now just listen to her and sort of humour her.

She says she is very frightened by them although these people do not harm or or even speak to her (she is very rational when she tells this tale and almost believable). and she says if they bother her she will just run off out of her house and away from them.

Do you think she is actually "seeing" these people or do you think she may be dreaming. I cannot believe she is up all night but she says she is. I am thinking of getting a baby monitor type of thing ( as she lives quite near, I don't know what the range is for these things) but then I wonder if I may be making a rod for my own back and will just be lying in bed listening for her all night (and maybe panicking every time I hear her especially if she starts to mutter and mumble) I have stayed with her before and she honestly sleeps all night and maybe gets up once for the toilet, but she does peer through her curtains looking for the people, but I just tell her to get back in bed and she does.

Does anyone think she will actually take flight and run away or not. She is not on any AD medication, just blood pressure tablets, thyroid tablets and aspirin together with a cholestorol tablet.

I know you cannot say for sure, but has anyone else come across anything like this?

Sorry to ramble, I am not very good at getting my point across.

Cheers

Maggie x x

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Mum had hallucinations and delusions that were very real and frightening to her. On one or two occasions a neighbour found her shouting on the road, her mobility was poor so she never really wandered but I feel she would if she could have done so. Have you spoken to the GP about them. If not I would do so, I never really made a fuss about them, as I thought I was handling the situation. But it turned out much later on that Mum had lewy Body dementia and not Parkinsons with Dementia which had important impications for her medication and treatment.

geraldine

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
Mum is still awaiting an assessment so don't know what kind of AD as yet (not even confirmed AD just assumption going off symptoms and behaviour)

So as yet she has not been diagnosed and given any medication in this regard. We are hoping that as soon as she can be assessed, they may be able to give her something to make night times a bit calmer for her (although don't want her "zombified if you know what I mean).

Also I have heard that some medications make some people incontinent. Mum is having a bit of trouble with her waterworks, in that she sometimes does not get to loo in time, but still knows to get changed and put everything in the wash (so far)

Will have to see what happens. Thanks for your reply.

Maggie x

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi There

My Dad 'sees' other people rather than dreams about them. He sees several women who all look like Mum, dress like Mum, and all tell him what to do (like Mum!). They all sit around in the lounge. Occasionally they 'tell' him to do things, like change his clothes, or make a pot of tea. He gets distressed because he doesn't know which one is the real one, and which one to take notice of.

Before they moved house, he was convinced that people lived in his attic and stole from him at night, although he never 'saw' them. Luckily, they didn't move house with them.....

Best Wishes
jks