Advice please

Annian88

Jun 4, 2021
Just one question how do you cope seeing someone you love so much disapear infront of you replaced with a mum who is now scared confused violent and crying
It's horrendous to see her like this I want to take it away so much
It's a bad day today for her x

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
And for you. I'm so sorry.
I've not had to face this one yet myself, but if this persists I'd suggest requesting an urgent re-assessment, emphasising the level of distress and the violent behaviour. There may be some medication that will help, but in any case the professionals need to know how things are changing for her.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Annian88

I’ve watched both my parents disappear into dementia land. I didn’t know about this forum when my mum was ill but it helped me cope with dad when it was his turn. I learned how to deal with what was happening with help from people who had been there before and from this thread

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Annian88

There is no easy way. Day at a time seems the best way. My mum has, over the past few years, varied from aggressive, violent, paranoid, low, shouting and screaming, sweet as a lamb. Regular reviews of medication have been helpful along the way and it is worth asking your mum's GP about this. An anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication like Mirtazapine can be very beneficial. Lots of us out here to help you along so keep posting for support and advice. People here really do understand.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
On a practical note, it is always worth looking for physical reasons for aggression and agitation. It can be caused by pain, constipation, urine infection, needing the loo, needing a drink. It can also just be a result of frustration or perhaps a reaction something that is happening at that time (help with personal care is often a trigger). Sometimes changing the way things are done or the time at which they are done can make a difference.