Advice please

daisy_dee

Mar 29, 2021
Hello all, I am new to this, my mother has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers early onset, but is not communicating well and is agressive . Main issue is with medication. She has not been sleeping well for years, and was on sleeping tablets which she kept topping up with sleep aid. Consulant perscribed her something new, however she has refused to take them after only 2 days, has refused all support and stopped talking to memory nurse, and gone back and got old perscription - and is taking a box of sleep aid a week alongside this, ( not that her doctor knows that ) - none of which is working, she gets very agressive and defensive and is refusing to discuss this - any advice as to how to proceed, as her memory is declining it seems daily, not helped by lack of sleep - thank you

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @cari.d and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very friendly place and you'll get lots of support and advice here.
I'm sure someone who has experience of this will be along with their suggestions shortly but I wonder if you could contact the GP directly with your concerns. He/she won't be able to discuss your mother directly but at least they will be aware and maybe able to persuade your mother to continue with the new medication.
Have you started to put a support network in place for when your mother needs more care and sorted out Lasting Power of Attorney?
In the meantime the search bar at the top is a great way to find other threads on this and similar topics. Some of the threads will be old but they could still be useful.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
tell the GP that your mum is taking old meds and sleep aid as one might be interacting with the other to make her aggressive. i tend to email the GP as they have all the facts to hand when phoning and there creates a trail so can see how different tablets work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086