Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Enjoy your new freedom @jennifer1967

1626903076930.png

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@jennifer1967 - enjoy your scooter. I loved mine. Make sure you are fully charged before journeys as running out of charge is a real pain. I also bought a bag that fitted over the back of the seat as I found there wasn't much stowage space if going shopping. If you are out and about in more crowded places, be aware that people will step out in front of you and basically aren't aware of scooters.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@jennifer1967 - enjoy your scooter. I loved mine. Make sure you are fully charged before journeys as running out of charge is a real pain. I also bought a bag that fitted over the back of the seat as I found there wasn't much stowage space if going shopping. If you are out and about in more crowded places, be aware that people will step out in front of you and basically aren't aware of scooters.
thank you @Helly68 its been on charge overnight. when the children were little, people used to almost step over the buggy when the children in it. one did it three times and on the third time, i rammed the buggy at them. i wont do that with the scooter. ive seen the bags so might get one.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@jennifer1967 - I found I only needed the bag if doing food shopping. It is possible (tho probably not advisable) to drive with a small child standing or sitting on your lap. Avoid hilly or bumpy ground as most don't have very good tyres or suspension and I am thinking the jolting would be painful for you

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@MaNaAk - tortoises are enjoying the sunshine and destroying my father's garden. My Dad seems OK this week - no phone calls of the type that everyone on this forum dreads!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@jennifer1967 - I found I only needed the bag if doing food shopping. It is possible (tho probably not advisable) to drive with a small child standing or sitting on your lap. Avoid hilly or bumpy ground as most don't have very good tyres or suspension and I am thinking the jolting would be painful for you
food shopping i will continue to do online but if i go to the local shop, will need something then. not going down the path of the having the grandchildren on my lap. its a blanket ban as some would be too young to understand when they can have a ride

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hes gone out to mens sheds. the leader of it phoned him on tuesday to see if he was alright as he didnt go monday. hes done that before as well which is really lovely. he looks forward to it now and full of it when he comes back as to what hes done. they played cards last week. its the first since ive known him to go to a club and meet people

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
had a practice up and down the street of my new scooter[porsche] and i managed to guide it where it should go and turned round. not quite got up to the dizzy heights of 4mph but that will come. i loved the freedom that it brings me but really need the ramp to make it easier to get it back in again

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
Have fun with your scooter @jennifer1967. The freedom will be amazing for you.

My MIL insisted on having one and was very proficient at negotiating anti speed bars in a local alley. Sadly, she didn't learn how to stop in the beginning so the very first time I took her out for a practice she ran my foot over while I was frantically trying to stop her hitting parked cars!!! Thank goodness a gentleman out for a walk came to my rescue. My husband told me afterwards there is an emergency off switch at the bottom.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Have fun with your scooter @jennifer1967. The freedom will be amazing for you.

My MIL insisted on having one and was very proficient at negotiating anti speed bars in a local alley. Sadly, she didn't learn how to stop in the beginning so the very first time I took her out for a practice she ran my foot over while I was frantically trying to stop her hitting parked cars!!! Thank goodness a gentleman out for a walk came to my rescue. My husband told me afterwards there is an emergency off switch at the bottom.
thanks @Lemondrizzle i started doing 3 point turns as well. i did it on the path up and down. i really loved the freedom it gives me. my husband was issuing instructions which i totally ignored. once the ramp comes, i can go out as i have to lift it over the step and its heavy

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So pleased to hear that you have got the scooter and the trial runs have worked. In the town where I worked there was a couple and each had a mobility scooter. As the pavements were quite wide I am sure they tried to race each other. I hope the ramps turn up quickly to give you that independence and space you need.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
So pleased to hear that you have got the scooter and the trial runs have worked. In the town where I worked there was a couple and each had a mobility scooter. As the pavements were quite wide I am sure they tried to race each other. I hope the ramps turn up quickly to give you that independence and space you need.
thanks @Bikerbeth my husband said that to the man who delivered and sorting out warranty etc. the ramps wont be here till next week but after that it all systems go. the freedom will be worth the wait. he was issuing instructions which he did yesterday. yesterday he seem to spoil it but today i ignored it. ive never driven so just getting my bearings.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@jennifer1967 - the controls on a scooter are pretty simple and very light and the steering on the one I had had quite a small turning circle. The thing is that most pavements and outdoor areas are not designed for scooters, so kerbs, uneven ground and unwary pedestrians or drivers can be annoying. I had a few bumps with mine and I went off-road when we did a lot of camping. Scooters are not ideal for fields, but it saved my legs when my knees were falling apart whilst I waited (and waited) for knee replacements.
If you end up using it quite regularly, it is worth arranging a "service" where they check the working parts/battery/tyres. I had a new battery after a while. Nothing expensive, just checking periodically that all is working as it should. I was lucky that there was a shop down the road from me where he sold scooters and did repairs.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@jennifer1967 - the controls on a scooter are pretty simple and very light and the steering on the one I had had quite a small turning circle. The thing is that most pavements and outdoor areas are not designed for scooters, so kerbs, uneven ground and unwary pedestrians or drivers can be annoying. I had a few bumps with mine and I went off-road when we did a lot of camping. Scooters are not ideal for fields, but it saved my legs when my knees were falling apart whilst I waited (and waited) for knee replacements.
If you end up using it quite regularly, it is worth arranging a "service" where they check the working parts/battery/tyres. I had a new battery after a while. Nothing expensive, just checking periodically that all is working as it should. I was lucky that there was a shop down the road from me where he sold scooters and did repairs.
thanks @Helly68 all good information that i wouldnt know. there are 2 shops near me so will have to investigate. its helpful to me that you have had one and share your knowledge. i was chuffed yesterday. we have quite a few dropped kerbs and the pavements are not bad so i will enjoy myself