advice please

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
have been looking up dementia friends and dementia friends where i live. they are quite a few active dementia friendly communities but as yet, my area is not there yet. the alz. soc. is at the forefront of setting this up and co-ordinating. mainly to give dementia training to people so they know more about dementia in general and types of dementia in particular. any person or organisation eg. shopping centres can be dementia friendly which may stop the awkwardness in cafes when taking a PWD out for lunch. i just thought i would write about it as i didnt know anything about it until @MaNaAk mentioned it in her post. its happening in lots of the country. i will think on it and when i can cope better with things, then i will look into it more in depth. at the moment im frazzled but wondered if it would help others to know about it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you go to
and select your geographic area you can drill down to see if your area has a DAA (dementia action alliance), if it has the various organisations which have committed to be dementia friendly will be listed.

After my wife died I was on a steering group setting up a local DAA, it's hard work convincing people of the value of being dementia friendly.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
If you go to
and select your geographic area you can drill down to see if your area has a DAA (dementia action alliance), if it has the various organisations which have committed to be dementia friendly will be listed.

After my wife died I was on a steering group setting up a local DAA, it's hard work convincing people of the value of being dementia friendly.
thanks @nitram i did that and there are DAA and i found the listings in the area but not in the area i live in.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Maybe a DAA has not been set up, members have to have an action plan and commit resources, it's not just about personnel, it includes signage and layout as appropriate.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Are there any that are reasonably close to you?

MaNaAk
they are actually like communities or neighbourhoods that are listed by the DAA . they are not far but it seems like for their own communities. where i am, all the areas are like separate and there is a lot of rivalry between the areas. so i couldnt go to a different area community to access their resources.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Funding by The National Lottery Community Fund ( was big lottery fund) can restrict the geographical area they work in.
i understand that. at one point the city council got money for the most deprived areas of the city for regeneration and better amenities. they gauge that on the proportion of benefit claimants and percentage of children on free school meals. we are in one of the most deprived areas. i used to be vice-chair of a couple of charities years ago and we had to meet certain criteria for different funding.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats my second jab done. if you download the NHS app not the covid one, the vaccines are on there electronically so you can prove you have been fully vaccinated if needed

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats my second jab done. if you download the NHS app not the covid one, the vaccines are on there electronically so you can prove you have been fully vaccinated if needed
cant believe that i havent even got a sore arm. i was so scared that the reaction would be the same or worse the second time that i was even thin king not to have the second dose, so glad i went with it. he hasnt been too bad today and is quite happy. even made cold pasta with prawns today when he has been too tired to do much. i was lovely as well. hes complying and using a teaspoon to eat and hasnt choked since which must be very frightening. he has an phone appt tomorrow with iron deficiency anaemia dept. he wont do a stool sample to rule out bowel cancer, he wont have cameras up or down but the gp said a possibility of a CT scan if the hospital thinks it appropriate. i would need to get one of the kids to go with him as im unable to go with him myself. he has been diagnosed with diabetes as well and we have done some of the questions over the phone but needs his bp and feet examined. he can go to the doctors on his own on the bus and she will have to write down his tablets. its so hard when i cant go with him and it will get worse.
not having a break tomorrow as they have a committee meeting so got 2 hours this week. i hope that soon i will have consistent breaks from him. at least im coping better than i was.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So pleased that you have not had any side affects from the 2nd jab. You deserve something good. I only had the sore arm first time but the 2nd one I had a full dose of flu for about 8 hours but gone the next morning. I hope you felt better fairly quickly @MaNaAk .
I am glad he is complying regarding the eating. As you say it must be very frightening for him and not good for you either.
I am sorry to hear that you are only getting 2hrs ‘break’ this week. It would be good for you to get some more time to yourself as you need those consistent breaks to reenergise yourself.
Did I read somewhere that you had finished all the sorting now.?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
So pleased that you have not had any side affects from the 2nd jab. You deserve something good. I only had the sore arm first time but the 2nd one I had a full dose of flu for about 8 hours but gone the next morning. I hope you felt better fairly quickly @MaNaAk .
I am glad he is complying regarding the eating. As you say it must be very frightening for him and not good for you either.
I am sorry to hear that you are only getting 2hrs ‘break’ this week. It would be good for you to get some more time to yourself as you need those consistent breaks to reenergise yourself.
Did I read somewhere that you had finished all the sorting now.?
thank you @Bikerbeth no ive not finished by a long way. i started his room as i was finding it hard in the kitchen. i got bit more in the kitchen and finish his room. its just finding somewhere to take it. my back and leg have been bad this week but im determined to keep going. just cleared a couple of days off in case i had a reaction to the jab and i think my oldest sons family may visit this weekend. i will be back on it as soon as i can

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Apparently if you have side effects the first time, the second tends to be fine. I was fine with my first one so I can only look forward to the second (probably will be hit like a truck!) Having said that I've had Pfizer which seems to be less troublesome for side effects. Glad to see you have all been full dosed!