advice please

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
He was wonderful. I think you should see a doctor and I think you need a higher dose of antihistamine. Hang in there @jennifer1967 you can do it.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

MaNaAk
good morning @MaNaAk i will be phoning monday morning. it looks so sore and feels hot. theres no point me putting another one on as it will just flare up again. i persevered and it was just too much. it wouldnt have been much longer before it broke the skin and then then it could get a whole lot worse. thankyou @MaNaAk

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I think maybe you put your finger on (part of) the problem: you skin is so sore now that anything would irritate it. When your system goes in to 'reactive mode' because something has really irritated you, it can take a while for that reaction to stop and calm down, hence a reaction to anything else - even something that might otherwise have been fine.

Ideally, it would be best to wait a few days for the reaction from the first patches to go down before trying a new one. However you obviously can't go without meds for a few days! Would it be possible to get some oramorph just for a few days (I note what you said previously...) to allow your system to calm down, then start the new patches. It seems pointless to put the new ones on skin that is already sore/blistered.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I think maybe you put your finger on (part of) the problem: you skin is so sore now that anything would irritate it. When your system goes in to 'reactive mode' because something has really irritated you, it can take a while for that reaction to stop and calm down, hence a reaction to anything else - even something that might otherwise have been fine.

Ideally, it would be best to wait a few days for the reaction from the first patches to go down before trying a new one. However you obviously can't go without meds for a few days! Would it be possible to get some oramorph just for a few days (I note what you said previously...) to allow your system to calm down, then start the new patches. It seems pointless to put the new ones on skin that is already sore/blistered.
i worked out that no point putting new patch on as every time, i get a new sore patch that is very red and almost blistered. im going to phone them monday. if im in serious agony, i will phone 111 or temporarily if desperate, put a new patch on but its slow release so quite a bit would have released in 24 hr period. im going to have to be very careful what i do and how i do it. to be honest, im running out of nice skin to put it on.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Not that it helps much but my Mum initially had Butrans patches - they didn't help her pain much. Fentanyl was much better but it now has a reputation for overuse and addiction so doctors may be reluctant to give it. She also had oral morphine as @Jaded'n'faded mentioned (Oramorph) when things were really bad. You probably don't want to go down that route.

I think that's right as others have said, it's so badly inflamed you need to let it rest for a period. You could try putting the new one on the top of your arm but I expect you are scared of a possible skin reaction.

It must be absolute hell for you. I hope the patch you had on continues to work for a while. Don't do anything strenuous - can your husband put the shopping away?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Not that it helps much but my Mum initially had Butrans patches - they didn't help her pain much. Fentanyl was much better but it now has a reputation for overuse and addiction so doctors may be reluctant to give it. She also had oral morphine as @Jaded'n'faded mentioned (Oramorph) when things were really bad. You probably don't want to go down that route.

I think that's right as others have said, it's so badly inflamed you need to let it rest for a period. You could try putting the new one on the top of your arm but I expect you are scared of a possible skin reaction.

It must be absolute hell for you. I hope the patch you had on continues to work for a while. Don't do anything strenuous - can your husband put the shopping away?
thank you @nita i did put one on my arm before and it falls off there. all the skin feels itchy at the moment so i have to rest my skin. he can help with shopping. one bonus is im getting decent showers so my back can get wet now as ive havent got to protect the patch. i wont be lifting or anything.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
you do have to apply for a permit to take class 2 mobility scooter on the bus which ive never been told so i will be assessed although not even the manager told me when i asked him before going on them. so i either limit where i go or go through hoops and be assessed. no-one else needs to be assessed. even customer service hadnt heard of them so communication is non-existent.
ive sent a message to how to apply. if i wasnt in so much pain, id complain but im not happy about it but i will do the assessment.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Good morning @jennifer1967 ,

How are you today? I noticed the time of your post and hope you got some sleep.

MaNaAk
good morning @MaNaAk im so stiff and my leg keeps giving way and cramping which is the nerve as well. im on the stronger painkillers. my skin is getting better. i did sleep, woke up a few times. i told him that i cant keep getting up and down for him so he did it himself. im just so sore