Advice please

maggie williams

Registered User
Jan 9, 2005

My father in law has been a sufferer for the past 4 years and is gradually deteroriating. He is 73 years old and lives with a 36 year old women. We know nothing about his companian she does not talk about her private life at all, she never takes him to visit his family is not interested in taking him to his hospital appointments lets us do all the running around. Over Christmas and New Year Dad came to stay with us and she dissapeared and did not talk to him at all over this period. Recently it has come to light that they have been engaged for 6 years and have kept it a secret, we are very worried that she is "controlling" him and indications are that she has tried to get Dad to change his will and get a percentage of his house. We have registered for an Enduring Power of Attorney and this should go through by the end of January, is this enough to protect him, my husband and I are not happy that he is living with her his own house has stood empty now for over a year and is in need of attention. He will not have a bad word said against her and it has become impossible to talk to him about financial/house arrangements because he can not hold what we are telling him.


Do something now. Please. Your vulnerable father-in-law has attracted a gold-digger, and you really do need to do something quickly.
It's not enough to have POA. You also need to alert a solicitor of the facts of this case, immediately, and Social Services, and the GP.
Please don't hesitate. I let it go on for a while, believing that my mother should spend her money in whatever way she chose, and the result was that she gave a chav gambler/gardener, whom she fancied, over £17,000. The psychological effect of that abuse drove her further over the edge of dementia.
I can't stress enough that you have to act now, to save him.
Cases of this kind are very difficult to prove in a court of law, as we don't yet have enough protection, as family, to override the sexual desires and wishes of elders who may have dementia problems.
I am still battling on behalf of my mother. I have no hopes that we will win this case. We came into it too late, as we truly believed that she knew what she was doing. She didn't.
Don't make our mistake. Please.


Registered User
Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Maggie, speak to the Alzheimers helpline in the morning, they will be able to advise you on this one. You need expert legal advice now. Love She. XX