Advice please regards SS and finances

Happyone

Apr 2, 2008
Can anyone please advise me with regard to funding for care at home? My MIL & FIL both live in their own sheltered flat. (They own this). They both receive attendance allowance at the higher rate and they also receive both parts of the pension credit.

The time is fast approaching where by we need extra help. We go every day and take them a hot meal and check on medications both on the visits and over the phone - we also do all the shopping and the many hospital appointments. Another relative goes 3 times a week to make sure they get breakfast on those days and also does housework for them.

It is now looking like they need someone to go every morning to prompt with medication and ensure they are having breakfast and also to assist one of them with washing and dressing. Obviously they have the attendance allowance to help pay for this extra help but would they have any other entitlements we may have missed? I doubt this as they are homeowners but they do not have much in the way of savings - certainly its under the threshold limit.

Thank you all for your help in this.

Kindest regards to you all.

x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Happyone

If your parents are under the Threshold they need a Social Services assessment which will establish the level of help they need. They should then be able to access the carer imput you feel is necesary.

Phone Social Services, tell them both parents are on higher rate Attendance Allowance and ask for an assessment.

Happyone

Apr 2, 2008
Thank you Sylvia - does this apply even though they own their own home? Is the assessment based on savings only? Sorry to be a bit dumb about it all!!!

Tracey x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yes Tracey, the assessment is based on savings only. Good luck.

PS You are not dumb. We are all novices as far as benefits of this kind go, until we are unfortunate enough to need them.

Happyone

Apr 2, 2008
Thank you so much for your quick response - it is very much appreciated. My FIL is currently in hospital following a fall so I am hoping that will start the process of getting the extra help they (and we) need.

Kindest regards and thanks,

Tracey x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please let us know how you get on. It`s always good to hear how the benefits system works in different Post Code areas.