• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

advice please on renting out property in scotland using POA


Registered User
Aug 28, 2014

I need to rent out my Mums house to pay for CH fees and keep the house occupied. I have never done this before (nor wanted to) so advice please.

What do I need to do regards the law and who pays the council tax etc? Private rent vs using an agent. Income tax, cost of repairs before renting etc?

All advice most welcome. If you are looking for a 2 bed end terrace in a quiet cul-de-sac with large garden and parking drive Im your woman!



Registered User
Apr 24, 2013
Two of my daughters rent out properties and have found using an agent is the way to go. They have the means to do checks and follow appropriate laws as well as keeping the property in good order.

Rents in Scotland though are very low compared to further south in the UK so you might find it is not much of a fund raiser.