Advice please! Certificate Provider for LPA

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
So at long last, I have bitten the bullet and am going full steam ahead with getting my mum to give my brother and I PoA! She really can't look after herself or her dog anymore and there is still that dodgy couple hanging around but I'm sure she's ok to know what she's signing at the time, so that makes it ok, right? I have asked her lifelong friend to be the Certificate Provider but he's worried he won't be acceptable to do so? Can anyone advise please? According to the notes online, it just needs to be someone who's known the donor more than 2 years....they've known each other for about 70 so I think he qualifies? :) Would also be useful to know if the same person can be the witness t men and my brothers signatures....I think he can but anyone with experience of these things kow for sure? Thanks peeps :)

Girlonthehill

Jan 1, 2015
Dorset
Lpa

So at long last, I have bitten the bullet and am going full steam ahead with getting my mum to give my brother and I PoA! She really can't look after herself or her dog anymore and there is still that dodgy couple hanging around but I'm sure she's ok to know what she's signing at the time, so that makes it ok, right? I have asked her lifelong friend to be the Certificate Provider but he's worried he won't be acceptable to do so? Can anyone advise please? According to the notes online, it just needs to be someone who's known the donor more than 2 years....they've known each other for about 70 so I think he qualifies? :) Would also be useful to know if the same person can be the witness t men and my brothers signatures....I think he can but anyone with experience of these things kow for sure? Thanks peeps :)

If you go online there www.gov.uk there is an excellent guide to completing an lpa. I have just done them for both my parents. The certificate provider can also be a witness. In the statement they suggest saying something like ' I have known ?? For x years and we have had many conversations"
I was amazed at how simple it was to do online. You just fill in the relevant boxes, print it off, get it signed and there are at least 6 places to sign. The donor had to sign twice on the health and welfare and be witnessed twice, just once on the financial.

It costs £110 to register each but much cheaper than £700 others seem to quote to do it

Hope this helps

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Her lifelong friend would be absolutely perfect as a certificate provider.
I am pretty sure that the same person can be used as witness. Attorneys can also witness each other.

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
If you go online there www.gov.uk there is an excellent guide to completing an lpa. I have just done them for both my parents. The certificate provider can also be a witness. In the statement they suggest saying something like ' I have known ?? For x years and we have had many conversations"
I was amazed at how simple it was to do online. You just fill in the relevant boxes, print it off, get it signed and there are at least 6 places to sign. The donor had to sign twice on the health and welfare and be witnessed twice, just once on the financial.

It costs £110 to register each but much cheaper than £700 others seem to quote to do it

Hope this helps

Thanks :) Yes, I've filled out the online form but it seemed too easy to be true and just wanted to be able to tell my mum's friend I was certain he'd be fine to be the certificate provider. He's 85 and was my dad's lifelong best friend until he died 20 years ago and he also introduced my mum and dad to each other in about 1950! Thanksof or the reassurance :)

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Use their GP.
The doctors opinion will not be questioned. Others may be if Social Services get involved.

Bod

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I doubt SS can question a properly registered POA unless they suspect fraud going on. And that could happen with a GP as certificate provider as well. Besides, not every GP is willing to do this anyway. Ours wasn't.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Pete's friend of nearly 30 years was the certificate provider -no questions and all above board.

Go for it.

Take care

Lyn T XX

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
The donor had to sign twice on the health and welfare and be witnessed twice, just once on the financial...
Thank goodness you mentioned signing and witnessing twice on the H&W! I realised that I had not got Section 5 signed and witnessed (Life sustaining treatment). It isn't flagged up sufficiently in the guidance. Thank you so much Girlonthehill. :)

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
We have just done both LPAs for our mum, we used her neighbour who has known her for 40 + years, filled the forms on line and put in the box - I have lived next door to ...... And known .......as a neighbour for 40+ years. Also don't forget the dates have to be in the right order when signed. Ps because we did it on line and didn't go through a solicitor I did worry it would be wrong but everything was fine, and we saved loads of money !! And they also confirm receipt of the forms and how long you have to wait if you put your email address too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorfolkRambler