Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Advice Please, Are Brain CT Scans reliable in showing Dementia?

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by valleygirl, May 7, 2015.

1. valleygirl

valleygirl Registered User

Apr 7, 2015
    Tony, I'm pleased that you got your licence back. I am not implying everyone with dementia should not be allowed to drive and as you say each case should be accessed individually. I was saying that I was shocked that in 2012 the DVLA stopped my husband driving (I did not know) so he had been driving without a license and therefore the insurance would have been not valid. Thank god there was no incident! He bought a new car in 2014 when he could not legally drive it. This is out of character because he knows the law and has been in the Transport Industry all his life. He is not driving now.

2. Countryboy

Countryboy Registered User

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Cornwall
    #22 Countryboy, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Hi Valleygirl "Thanks". I do understand all they issues and reasons why some people with dementia and other medical conditions shouldn't be driving , because I'm one of those with the illness and have myself dealt with being angry after being told I could have a licence for 12 months and carried my aggression on for years obviously it was alway worse around the 12 month renewal my GP , Consultants, Occupational Therapist , and some family members couldn't understand Why I was so angry when the DVLA were a least issuing it every year albeit for 12 months , I was getting so upset / annoyed because my driving licence was being restricted when in fact I Had-dent broken any law or road traffic act , the system assume a person with dementia is incapable but that isn't correct , I attend a Alzheimer's Leadership Group run by Alzheimer's Society eight member all have dementia six still drive their self to the venue , Valleygirl my driving licence pre 2001 had nearly all the categories on including C1 it was only when my daughter showed me her driving licence I got mine out and was shocked to find all my categories were gone so Valleygirl I was driving lorries and other heavy goods when in fact I didn't have a licence to drive them , yes we all make mistakes unknowingly obviously if you have difficulty reading it well I have dementia and it looks ok with me

Again not trying to step on anyone toes just my views and thing I have had to deal with myself

Forgot to mention when I received notification I was to get my full driving licence back I became a different person much calmer and relaxed now more laid back a real Happy Bunny hopefully people will understand how important it is to retain these things as long as possible
    Cheers Tony :)

3. mary2000

mary2000 Registered User

Mar 24, 2016
    Female
    West Sussex
    Hi Valleygirl - I just wanted to say that I really hope you manage to find a solution to this issue with your husband. I can only imagine how stressful it must be for you and your son.

My husband is still in the investigation stage - he had his CT scan a few days ago and now we wait for an appointment with the consultant. i was having huge problems earlier in the year with my husband being irritable and aggressive with me when he hadn't been in the past. Fortunately he admitted he had a problem so that has made it easier for me and our GP put him on anti-depressants which has really evened things out but he is still having huge memory issues etc. I know I am lucky in that hubby readily admits there are issues and is willing to meet me half way to get solutions and a way forward. I hope in my heart that you manage to get to this stage too. It must be so frightening to see such a big change in him and for him not to recognise that there is a change. Either that or he is in denial about it all which is possible. May be he is frightened in his own way and finding that attack is the best form of defence. Hubby has used that tactic on me on many occasions. I know how unpleasant it can be.

Anyway don't want to ramble but just wanted to say that I was thinking of you and you will get lots of support on here x

4. Justincase

Justincase Registered User

Jul 7, 2017
    Dementia not showing on scans

5. Bron12

Bron12 New member

Jul 24, 2019
    I had the same result normal ct but dr diagnosed FTD based on his behaviours

6. mysanity

mysanity New member

Jun 18, 2019

7. mysanity

mysanity New member

Jun 18, 2019
    CT scan and MRI scan came back as normal. Eventually had a PET Scan which confirmed diagnosis of Alzheimers. Whilst waiting for PET scan which we were very lucky to get due to costs, my partner was diagnosed with Pseudo Dementia. Dementia like symptoms but not necessarily Dementia. We were lucky to have a Consultant (Neurologist) that acknowledged that there was something seriously wrong and promised us he would explore all avenues. Incidentally his GP was useless in acknowledging that there was anything wrong. I paid for a private consultation with a Neurologist which cost £90. Because we didn't have private Health Care he is seen via the NHS with the same consultant. Best £90 I have ever spent. Persevere and don't give up. Without a diagnosis you are extremely limited to getting any help and support.

8. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @Bronwyn Brown
    a warm welcome to DTP
    I hope you will find the forums helpful ... members are incredibly understanding and supportive

FTD can be tricky to diagnose, behaviour is often the key to distinguishing it

just to let you know that this thread is some years old (you can check the date of each post at top left of the text box)

you may want to begin a thread of your own with anything that's on your mind
    maybe in this forum
    https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-have-a-partner-with-dementia.69/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.