Advice over Deferred payment on part owned property

Snowdrop66

Aug 16, 2015
Hi I am new to the forum but can see it is a very good place for advise and support, on this basis I am now looking for some legal advise of what to expect with regard to a financial review on my Dads assets by social services.
My Dad went into a lovely care home last March as he has dementia and since my Mum passed away 3 years ago could no longer live on his own even with support from myself and careers coming in everyday to administer his meds.
He has been self funding his care from day one with his savings but now he is down to £23,000 so it is now time to get a financial review.
My Dad does own a property but half of the house also belongs to my Brother and myself, this was put in place in my Mums will when she passed away. This will states that my Dad was to live in the property for as long as he wants to and we can not make him homeless, the will was set up in 2010 when my Dad was of sound mind and his will mirrors the same request.
To help with the care costs since my Dad has gone into care we have now rented his home out but do not take any share of the money, it all goes towards his care.
The question I want to ask is can a Dererred payment / charge be put on the property if my Dad only owns 50% of it.
I just want to be clear as a meeting with the social worker is due to be arranged, along with filling out a form for his financial assessment.
Hope somebody can help me as it is causing me stress already

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Snowdrop66, I don’t have experience of the system yet but there is an AS Factsheet about the issue that you can read by clicking on this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...et_paying_for_care_and_support_in_england.pdf

Members with experience of the system may provide advice later. However, if you need urgent comment the help line experts may be able to guide you and the details are

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You cannot be forced to sell and by contributing the rent plus his savings and pensions you seem to me to have done all you can. I would be wary about agreeing anything with the LA until you have clear advice. Definitely don't sign anything.

Snowdrop66

Aug 16, 2015
You cannot be forced to sell and by contributing the rent plus his savings and pensions you seem to me to have done all you can. I would be wary about agreeing anything with the LA until you have clear advice. Definitely don't sign anything.
Thank you I will get some legal advice befor I sign anything

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Get legal advice as to the house ownership- I presume you have already done the legal bit and changed the title registered on the property to reflect your interest.

be prepared too take the will along with you, if your father has a lifetime interest in the whole of the property,before Mums share passes to you, its a bit different

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
That sounds like good planning I wish we had something like that in place,I've been here since birth for 45 years and will probably get turfed out at some time,I try to block it out but it plays on my mind

If I was 60 I would be saved