advice on temporary care

plantlover

Apr 7, 2014
My mother has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia although it has been clear there were problems for about three years. She lives alone and usually manages well, despite large gaps in her memory. However, about every two months she gets very disorientated and confused and needs rescuing for a week or two when she stays with myself or my sister. Up until now, those few weeks have left her determined to manage by herself again but the gaps between the bad spells are getting closer and we both three hours away and have jobs and families. We do not think we can cope if these spells get more frequent. Mum refuses to have anyone in the house to help. However, she has said that she would consider having someone she or we could call in an emergency to come and help her through her bad spells. Is there such a service that could come to her aid quickly? She would be able to fund it herself.

New to forum and would really appreciate advice.

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
My mother has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia although it has been clear there were problems for about three years. She lives alone and usually manages well, despite large gaps in her memory. However, about every two months she gets very disorientated and confused and needs rescuing for a week or two when she stays with myself or my sister. Up until now, those few weeks have left her determined to manage by herself again but the gaps between the bad spells are getting closer and we both three hours away and have jobs and families. We do not think we can cope if these spells get more frequent. Mum refuses to have anyone in the house to help. However, she has said that she would consider having someone she or we could call in an emergency to come and help her through her bad spells. Is there such a service that could come to her aid quickly? She would be able to fund it herself.

New to forum and would really appreciate advice.

Hi Plantlover. I'm quite new to this forum myself but have been caring for my OH for about 6 years so far. In that time it's become clear that his condition deteriorates very significantly when he's physically unwell, most commonly constipated or he has extreme diahorrhea. (sp) Once that's sorted he settles back down to his usual behaviours which is a relief - his usual behaviours are very trying and tiring but compared to when he's off colour they're at least copable with. Perhaps you might check with your Mum whether she has noticed anything, a urine infection maybe?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa