Advice on sedation techniques/experiences

Nettieatolympic

Nov 9, 2016
Hello there. My sister had a call from the care home where our 93yr old mum has been living happily for 18 months. Now again we have have been told she lashes out and they have asked the GP for sedation but he is reluctant. On Friday the GP instructed the RIT team to attend an incident, their person then told care staff mum cannot stay there any longer. However the home are happy for her to stay if they can have the option of sedation when needed. Any advice on sedation techniques/experiences very welcome please.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont know what your mums care home is like, but I do know that not all care homes are equal.

Medication has its place, but shouldnt be the first port of call. Some care homes, although they say they are experienced in dementia care, only want the people in the early, easy stages of the disease and as soon as there are common symptoms appearing, like wandering, being up at night, resisting personal care or aggression they are out of their depth. When this happens they either give you notice to find somewhere else or they demand sedation.

I think it might b helpful to look at other homes and ask them how they would deal with the aggression - woolly answers will mean that they have no/little experience.. You may find another home that is able to deal with it without resorting to a "chemical cosh"