Advice on making a Will

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Mumof3kids, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Mumof3kids

Mumof3kids Registered User

Aug 12, 2018
    Hello, I'm after more advice, this time regarding sorting a Will out for my parents.

Before my dad became ill with VD, many years ago they had an appointment with a Solicitor to sort out a Will. However I have since learned that the appointment didn't go well since my dad accused the Solicitor of prying into their affairs (he was always a bit awkward before the diagnosis..... what some may call a bit of a 'know all' :) and not good at taking instruction or being offered advice) Needless to say the Will never got sorted.

Now, years later and with his diagnosis, I was proactive and took advice from the lovely people on TP to get a LPA sorted. This is in place and I am now able to have sight of their financial affairs, which whilst overwhelming, it's also a relief that if/when the time comes for me to become more involved. I can.

But what do I do about them not having a Will?

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Unless you can convince a solicitor that your dad has testamentary capacity, nothing in his case.

If your mother has capacity she can make a will.

3. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
  4. Mumof3kids

Aug 12, 2018
  5. Mumof3kids

Aug 12, 2018
    As I thought.... thanks

6. Banjomansmate

Banjomansmate Registered User

Jan 13, 2019
    Female
    Dorset
    Just try to convince her it would not be a good idea to leave it all to her husband!

7. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    If their is a jointly owned property held as joint tenants her share will go to him if she predeceases him, this is outside of any will.

If she changes the ownership to tenants in common she can leave all or part of her share to A N Other than her husband.

https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common