Advice on financial matters

Member65566

Apr 21, 2017
Thank you. Uncle has booked and paid initially for flights but has taken her bank card and reimbursed himself with or without her knowledge. Previous return flights included assistance at her cost. I don’t believe I can involve myself in a booking that he has already made for this particular visit. I suppose it’s more of a moral dilemma in that should the EPA be used to supersede the lack of H&C Attorney, in that financial means are withheld? I think worst case scenario I will seek legal advice given there is a lot more to these circumstances than money but I really appreciate the food for thought. It’s very difficult convincing yourself you are in fact doing the right thing for your PWD as opposed to taking the upper hand because the court has ruled you hav an authority.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
And getting involved in a family fight when it should be about looking after the best interests of a person - both financially as well as physically - seems to have become such an area of conflict,

Good luck - stick to your principles, they seem to be about doing the best for your Gran xx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Assistance on flights doesn’t cost, by the way. I had assistance at airports to NZ, no extra cost, but so much easier!

fortune

Sep 12, 2014
I had similar issues with my sister taking mum away. The whole business got worse and worse. At the beginning I just put an agreed amount in the account and gave sister the card. But then I got phone calls - mum wants to pay for the dinner, mum wants to buy these shoes etc etc. Then I asked for receipts, after that I insisted on receipts before reimbursement. The day it all stopped was when I went through the receipts and only paid for what I thought was fair. She's not taken her away since.

Member65566

Apr 21, 2017
I had similar issues with my sister taking mum away. The whole business got worse and worse. At the beginning I just put an agreed amount in the account and gave sister the card. But then I got phone calls - mum wants to pay for the dinner, mum wants to buy these shoes etc etc. Then I asked for receipts, after that I insisted on receipts before reimbursement. The day it all stopped was when I went through the receipts and only paid for what I thought was fair. She's not taken her away since.
Thank you. I have discussed it with other family members and they are in agreement that unless receipts are provided then money isn’t reimbursed. That being said I have given her a couple of hundred pounds for spending money. Uncle hasn’t contacted me again but to keep everyone right I think requesting receipts is the best way to move forward. I hope it does put an end to the trips, she phoned me 6 times last night very distressed that she is going. As much as a relationship is important with her son it should be in her own home without the stress of travelling at this stage in her life. I just hope he comes to his senses and she returns safely from this trip. Thank you.