Advice on easy to use television

Kalg

Mar 2, 2021
My father would like a new television with a better screen. He is now struggling to use the remote control and is constantly fiddling with it. He is constantly pressing the volume button up really high, then switches it off.

Normally I would have bought him the latest tv with all the technology, but I now think the simpler the better.

He still uses the bbc teletext to look at the share prices and would be v upset if he couldn’t relay the numbers to me every day. He also has a sky box.

Please could someone advise me on a new tv that’s simple to use for him and the best easy to use remote that can also use teletext. He usually has a Panasonic tv, but they seem to have v mixed reviews for seniors, never mind a senior with dementia.

I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Presumably your dad used to be able to use the remote correctly? Unfortunately, the dementia has now made him unable to use it, or, quite likely, any other remote. What is simple to use to you or I, can be unfathomable to a PWD, no matter how much you try to explain it.
Do you think he wants a new TV bcause it genuinely doesn't work properly - or because he thinks it doesn't, because he can't remember how to work it?
I'm afraid to say that whatever TV you choose will probably not work to his satisfaction, because his dementia doesn't allow him to operate it. Sorry it's not a more useful suggestion.

Kalg

Mar 2, 2021
I appreciate the reality check with my dad, I may be unrealistic or putting my head in the sand, but dad still appears to enjoy watching the tv and is able to use a remote, just is starting to struggle with it. I’m just trying to see if I can improve things for him, but maybe I’m being unrealistic.

Dad used to be able to use the remote with ease, he can still use it, just finds it more difficult and is noticeably fiddling with it more. The turning up the volume button on is driving us all potty. He is still able to find the share prices on teletext and quotes the teletext number as he pops them in and reads out the latest share prices to me. He watches the same sky channels.

His tv is 10plus years old and the screen quality is not great compared to the new ones. He still enjoys the tv and it seems a shame not to buy him one with a better screen for him to enjoy.

I bought him new landline phones recently as he is v hard of hearing. He struggles a bit with them, but he has managed, and I can now have a conversation with him without saying, “It’s really faint, i can’t hear you, you need to speak louder, let me try blowing up the phones” x 20. I chose a phone good for the hard of hearing and with a hidden away volume button he couldn’t keep fiddling with. It’s been brilliant for him as we can now have a conversation, my mother finds the volume far too high, but is happy to put up with it.

I though a simple tv with a good screen, perhaps voice control and access to bbc teletext connected to his sky box would be really beneficial to him. I just can’t seem to find any advice from anyone who has made a recent purchase in similar circumstances

I can buy him a simple senior remote control, not sure if they work with teletext though.

Thank you for replying, I really do appreciate you taking the time to do so. It’s quite hard reading what we as a family will be facing soon with dad, far better to be prepared and to start getting our heads round the challenges ahead.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I appreciate the reality check with my dad, I may be unrealistic or putting my head in the sand, but dad still appears to enjoy watching the tv and is able to use a remote, just is starting to struggle with it. I’m just trying to see if I can improve things for him, but maybe I’m being unrealistic.

Dad used to be able to use the remote with ease, he can still use it, just finds it more difficult and is noticeably fiddling with it more. The turning up the volume button on is driving us all potty. He is still able to find the share prices on teletext and quotes the teletext number as he pops them in and reads out the latest share prices to me. He watches the same sky channels.

His tv is 10plus years old and the screen quality is not great compared to the new ones. He still enjoys the tv and it seems a shame not to buy him one with a better screen for him to enjoy.

I bought him new landline phones recently as he is v hard of hearing. He struggles a bit with them, but he has managed, and I can now have a conversation with him without saying, “It’s really faint, i can’t hear you, you need to speak louder, let me try blowing up the phones” x 20. I chose a phone good for the hard of hearing and with a hidden away volume button he couldn’t keep fiddling with. It’s been brilliant for him as we can now have a conversation, my mother finds the volume far too high, but is happy to put up with it.

I though a simple tv with a good screen, perhaps voice control and access to bbc teletext connected to his sky box would be really beneficial to him. I just can’t seem to find any advice from anyone who has made a recent purchase in similar circumstances

I can buy him a simple senior remote control, not sure if they work with teletext though.

Thank you for replying, I really do appreciate you taking the time to do so. It’s quite hard reading what we as a family will be facing soon with dad, far better to be prepared and to start getting our heads round the challenges ahead.
Sorry to sound so doom and gloom. It may be that you can find something simpler, and your dad can use it, which would be great. And of course, if the screen quality isn't brilliant for him now, that's fair enough.
However, there is the possibility that he won't be able to work it, because that is one of the many miseries that dementia rains down on us.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Most of the well known manufacturers have a hospitality or hotel mode which limits access to specified settings and volume. It's usually accessed by pressing a sequence of combined buttons on both set and remote.

Googling on <set make model> hotel <or hospitality>mode should give an indication of what is available or you could try contacting the technical dept. of chosen manufacturer.

Kalg

Mar 2, 2021
Most of the well known manufacturers have a hospitality or hotel mode which limits access to specified settings and volume. It's usually accessed by pressing a sequence of combined buttons on both set and remote.

Googling on <set make model> hotel <or hospitality>mode should give an indication of what is available or you could try contacting the technical dept. of chosen manufacturer.
That’s good advice, I never knew that, thank you. I will look into it. A big thank-you!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
sound perhaps odd, and you'll pay through the nose but....have a look on somewhere like RNIB shop site.

We bought a talking microwave- wasnt because the fact that the machine spoke them time as mum put something in it, but that Dad knew and knew how long he'd got to get to the microwave before it cremated whatever mum had put in. If he knew she's put say a mug of milk in to make coffee, and the voice said ''Power level 10, 8 minutes,, he knew he had to run. if it said ''2 minutes'' it save his worry

i wonder if something like that ( bit of curve ball perhaps) might help, something designed for a slightly different reason

Kalg

Mar 2, 2021
sound perhaps odd, and you'll pay through the nose but....have a look on somewhere like RNIB shop site.

We bought a talking microwave- wasnt because the fact that the machine spoke them time as mum put something in it, but that Dad knew and knew how long he'd got to get to the microwave before it cremated whatever mum had put in. If he knew she's put say a mug of milk in to make coffee, and the voice said ''Power level 10, 8 minutes,, he knew he had to run. if it said ''2 minutes'' it save his worry

i wonder if something like that ( bit of curve ball perhaps) might help, something designed for a slightly different reason
Just looked at the rnib website. Looks like Samsung may be the way to go. Thank-you!

For others who may be interested, go the the rnib website, television, this site won’t let me post a link until I have ten posts.

If it’s useful to others, I’ll let you know how I get on. In the meantime, all top tips and advice welcome!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Just looked at the rnib website. Looks like Samsung may be the way to go. Thank-you!

For others who may be interested, go the the rnib website, television, this site won’t let me post a link until I have ten posts.

If it’s useful to others, I’ll let you know how I get on. In the meantime, all top tips and advice welcome!
Said i said, prob cost and arm and a leg, but sometimes 'outside the box' thinking is the way to go.
Glad it was of use- nearly didnt post because it sounds so wierd a place to look

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
If you don’t find anything better then I would you to advise you to visit curry’s with his remote and see if the new Panasonic one retains similar features. Or you may be able to view remotes online.

I needed to buy a phone with more handsets so purchased BT to replace the Panasonic. This was a mistake. They looked similar but were not. Learning new tricks with the most simple technology is very very hard for people with dementia.

Mum is a little bit deaf but turns the TV up to almost Maximum level. I am convinced it is not due to hearing, the problem is she can’t understand or process the information being given to her and turning up the TV is an attempt to achieve this.

Kalg

Mar 2, 2021
If you don’t find anything better then I would you to advise you to visit curry’s with his remote and see if the new Panasonic one retains similar features. Or you may be able to view remotes online.

I needed to buy a phone with more handsets so purchased BT to replace the Panasonic. This was a mistake. They looked similar but were not. Learning new tricks with the most simple technology is very very hard for people with dementia.

Mum is a little bit deaf but turns the TV up to almost Maximum level. I am convinced it is not due to hearing, the problem is she can’t understand or process the information being given to her and turning up the TV is an attempt to achieve this.
That’s good advice, I’ll check the remote control on the new tv before I buy. Thank you.

The new phone I bought dad had the buttons in the same place as his old one, even though a different make, so may be why he found it ok to use. So same applies to the tv, all common sense really, I just needed someone to tell me so, so thank-you!

I thought I’d buy a flipper easy to use remote and see how he gets on with his existing tv first. Not sure now. Uuummm. All good to think about.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Also no good for shares on teletext but Alexa can operate the TV.
Your person with dementia would have to remember her name? ( hurdle number one)

I have just asked my Alexa Echo show for BT share price today. She gave me very clear audio information and showed a nice little chart.
If you do ever go down that line ( and if you are tempted then the quicker the better ) you,need broadband. Also buy the biggest screen alexa you can afford.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I have recently bought my dad a new landline phone with success. The key features are
- big buttons
- lift handset to answer, no need to press a single button to take a call ( very important for a PWD)
- amplified volume can be the default setting with a small switch that he won't notice
This has greatly improved his ability to answer the phone.

I am now also wondering how I can help him get the best from his TV. On my last visit maintenance job of the week was getting it all working again, a job accomplished despite the impediment of frequently- received "advice". I am still not entirely sure what had happened but I am sure the best thing will be to take a digital recording machine away ( seldom used and too difficult now) and get a simplified controller for the TV. I can see resistance to this ahead as like others, I have the problem that he doesn't believe there is anything wrong with him, and the equipment must be faulty.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Also random, and a bit off topic so forgive me.
I purchased my husband an electric blanket with Alexa plug.( EBay)
So he can now sit downstairs in the lounge and say.
‘ Alexa, electric blanket on’!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Also random, and a bit off topic so forgive me.
I purchased my husband an electric blanket with Alexa plug.( EBay)
So he can now sit downstairs in the lounge and say.
‘ Alexa, electric blanket on’!
Oh, be careful. Electric blankets should be off before a person gets into bed ( check manufacturer 's instructions) Can a PWD reliably remember to switch off as well as on?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Oh, be careful. Electric blankets should be off before a person gets into bed ( check manufacturer 's instructions) Can a PWD reliably remember to switch off as well as on?
My husband doesn’t have dementia.
He is waiting for the death of my mother before developing it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA