Advice on dad's behaviour

Elizabeth80

Apr 21, 2017
Hi there is was wondering if anyone has any advice my dad was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers in September 2015 apart from getting a little more forgetful haven't noticed any big changes but the past week or so has become very mean and nasty saying things about my past trying to stir up trouble then says to me my alzheimers makes me do this. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience as I am very confused as when I was younger we never had the best relationship and was quite mean and nasty alot of the time so hard to differentiate.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi Elizabeth. It can be difficult to judge if these sorts of things are down to dementia or down to pre-dementia "normality".
If this is a relatively sudden trait, it might be worth getting your Dad tested for a UTI or some other infection. These can have a marked effect on behaviour.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello Elizabeth. Good advice, to get your dad checked for any signs of infection, as changes in behaviour are often the first (and sometimes the only) signs of infection in a person with dementia. It is interesting though that he actually tells you that it's his dementia that makes him behave that way. Is he saying that in an apologetic way, or is it in a sort of "I can get away with whatever I like." way, do you know?

If there is no infection, and the nasty behaviour continues, then it's still worth talking to his doctor about it. And sometimes, it's worth talking to the person firmly too, particularly if he has insight enough to tell you that his alzheimer's makes him do it, then perhaps it's worth trying to explain that he doesn't have to behave like that, that he can decide not to.