Advice on coping with Change in behaviour

LS57

Jun 6, 2020
Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum and looking for some support and advice.
My husband is 63 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January 2018 - however we think problems started when he wanted to take early retirement back in 2015. He has been taking Donepezil 10mg since diagnosis and Memantine 20mg for the last 18 months.
His communication has remained good and short term memory not too bad during this time. However, in the last few weeks his behaviour has changed. Stared with talking to his reflection in the mirrors, even laughing with his reflection- doesn't seem to worry him and he often asks me if they 'the lads' as he calls them have been fed and checks I am looking after them, I just say yes!
More recently he has started having delusional behaviour believing his only good friend has been in the house and taken stuff! He gets really angry saying he is going to get him! Started at 5am 2 days ago managed to calm him down went to our daughter garden for change of scenery. Then this morning 6am again shouting he will get him and I don't understand he has taken millions - took a while this to calm down but he has been brewing on it all day still not happy! I've tried the usual trying to distract with music, TV etc but I can tell he is still not happy and thinking about it!!
Any advice would be helpful
Thank you

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @LS57.

Whilst some changes can be the progression of the dementia it's noted that this is a recent flare up so an infection like a UTI could be the cause. Infections are a major problem in people with dementia.

I would have a chat with the GP - or out of hours service as it's the week-end.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
By the way, I wonder if you may find any local support services like a memory café to be of some use when things open up after the current crisis. You can do a post code check to see what's available to you by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

The full list of the very informative Factsheets, on all aspects of dementia, can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

If communicating becomes an issue, a few handy tips can be picked from the useful thread that can be reached with this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

LS57

Jun 6, 2020
Thank you for your response and information. I spoke to the GP took urine sample, which she said was normal- she took blood samples to check for anything else underlying. In the meantime his angry has not got any better everyday he goes on about how he wants 'to get him'. He is really angry and cross - I'll try not engaging with him about it then he just sits seething about the issue!
I've now spoken to my Admiral Nurse, she has referred him to the Memory Clinic and Mental Health Team who I am waiting to hear from - she believes he needs medication to calm him down in case he turns his frustrations out on me. He is a big lad 6'2" and I'm only 5' so can see why she is worried however, he doesn't seem cross with me. All so stressful!!!
I have also tried all the methods to distract, calm etc but he keeps going back to it.