advice on cleaning after tiolet

Pollytickle

Nov 15, 2015
Are there better places to go to for things like gloves, pads etc; I've been relying on supermarkets for things like 10a & puppy training mats but wondered if there were alternatives... I struggle with the gloves especially as I'm allergic to many things (perfumes, cosmetics, detergents blah-blah-blah) & it's so difficult to find marry golds that won't start off my symptoms :(

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
Pollytickle try your district nurse for a continence assessment to get pads or pants on the NHS for free not sure about gloves but we have a good independent mobility shop that also deals with continence aids and has a good choice try on line continence products x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Sometimes it does get a bit much. I can normally do the bottom wiping bit and the pulling up of the pants without looking at the front zone so to speak. Today Dad was sitting in his chair with his trousers undone and started taking his pants down leaving nothing to the imagination and asking me to take his trousers off. Did he want the commode I asked-nope just wanted his trousers off and five minutes later back on again. :(

legolover

Jul 25, 2011
West Midlands
Gloves

I bought a box of 100 single use vinyl gloves online on A--z--n also they have a good selection of body worn pads and also larger "sheets" to go on chair or bed. Vinyl gloves are the best if you have sensitive skin

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I'm also hoping to find out if there's a course or something for Carers on how to lift without doing both you & your charge physical harm & that kind of thing. I know a comparison to childcare has been mentioned before but kids are usually smaller, become a little less dependent upon you every day, & are easier to distract from a tantrum with an ice cream :D

Hi, as I live on a country where lifting is common for careers, I asked several profissionais about it.

To protect yourself, it is basically the same stuff of weight lifting on gym. Back and abdominal muscles contracting, and for movement use your legs muscles. And don't lift more weight that you can.

However, the person being lifted can have problems as:
Rubbing and hurting skin;
Too much pressure to be hold;
Arms and shoulders problems.

Usually I took mum to Doctors 4-5 times a year. Even knowing the theory, putting someone in and out a common car was something that left my back hurting for days. (She was on 7-d, Just like a 1 month old with 75 kg)

Last edited:

Pollytickle

Nov 15, 2015
Thank you for your replies Guys; let's just say my suspicions have been floating in the right areas :eek:

It seems the biggest challenge we face, is in encouraging our Loved Ones to accept the help we are trying to offer them. I've bitten my tongue so much these past twelve months I'm surprised I have one left at all :p In keeping with the topic of the thread, we've had so many spates over underwear, cleaning nether regions - it comes very close to blood sport, on using protective pads on the mattress - it's becoming harder to remind myself it's not her fault we are fighting :(

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
trousers?

related to the toilet discussion - any advice on the best trousers? My father is still wearing "normal" trousers, with buttons and zip, which are not easy to get on and off -especially if the need is urgent. He has always been quite smartly dressed and the carers are good at maintaining that but trousers are a problem. I've looked for decent elasticated waist ones (not sweat pants) but haven't found the right ones yet. They must be out there somewhere!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
BJS, I know I've seen discussion on here for trousers for men with elasticized waists that look decent. Let me see what I can turn up for you in a search. Hold, please!

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I have the added interesting dimension of Dad's feet being bandaged like Michelin Man so I need something very easy to put on. I've tried elasticated waists but Dad old fashioned and has nothing to undo so he hates them.:)
He either complains trousers drop off him (he keeps undoing belt) or they are "strangling him" Don't ask!
I've looked at lots of mobility type stockists but they all fall short in one of the categories for something.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/sho...-waist-trousers&highlight=men*+trousers+waist

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/sho...icated-Trousers&highlight=men*+trousers+waist

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/sho...orial-accidents&highlight=men*+trousers+waist

I know this is not what you asked, but in case this helps anyone, I buy trousers for my mother from an online retailer that has the same name as "the most westerly point of mainland Cornwall and England" (quote from Wikipedia. They are the "sport knit pants" (it's American for trousers, I swear!) from that retailer.

They are cotton knit with pockets on the seam and an elastic waist. They come in petite, regular, and tall sizes. They hold up remarkably well to the industrial washers and dryers at her care home. I'm lucky that she wore these pre-dementia and still accepts them as "suitable" to wear. They have a heavier corduroy fabric version she wears in winter. They regularly go on sale for 40% off, which is when I stock up, if you watch the website for sale codes.

I don't know if they have anything suitable for men, but there are suggestions in the threads I linked. I just wanted to mention these trousers, even though you didn't ask, for anyone reading the thread, to whom it might be relevant.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Trying to remember the name of the mail order company that I used to get dads from. Polyester trousers with elasticated sides. Zip and button but enough stretch in the sided to pull them down if you needed to.

Chums!

Pollytickle

Nov 15, 2015
Cliff0rd J@mes or J0llimans may have something BJS The first one does all sorts of bits & pieces - garden, kitchen, wheelchair accessories, etc - plus predominantly Male in the clothing section.
The second one has been going for an absolute age - pretty sure it's only for men but could be wrong now they're online too - my aunt used their mail order service a lot for her menfolk, which speaks volumes for the company's quality & value (she couldn't have been more of a critic if she tried :eek: )

Good Luck!

Pollytickle

Nov 15, 2015
Isn't it weird how you have a brilliant idea, when you're right in the middle of something else ...

Mum was just on the loo & faffing with the toilet paper (still on the roll, thankfully) when zoom! An actual real suggestion to our quest! (perhaps.. )

Has anyone tried using those long handled 'cleaners' you can get, on someone else? Do you know the sort of thing I mean...I think they were originally designed for people who have spinal injuries that restrict their upper body movements...I know they have some on @m@zon cuz I saw them yesterday!

It didn't occur to me to suggest them here until now :confused: sorry..they're in the Heath & Beauty section under Mobility Aids if you want to see for yourselves.

Last edited:

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
Isn't it weird how you have a brilliant idea, when you're right in the middle of something else ...

Mum was just on the loo & faffing with the toilet paper (still on the roll, thankfully) when zoom! An actual real suggestion to our quest! (perhaps.. )

Has anyone tried using those long handled 'cleaners' you can get, on someone else? Do you know the sort of thing I mean...I think they were originally designed for people who have spinal injuries that restrict their upper body movements...I know they have some on @m@zon cuz I saw them yesterday!

It didn't occur to me to suggest them here until now :confused: sorry..they're in the Heath & Beauty section under Mobility Aids if you want to see for yourselves.

what a fab idea - got me searching this morning and found a healthcare website packed with stuff like this. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links but can email it to anyone. What gets me about all this is how we are left alone to find it all out! Thank goodness for internet forums :) Many thanks again

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Just thought I'd remind members who are clearly worried about naming products and suppliers that they are allowed to make recommendations based on their personal experience:

Personal endorsements of products or services that may be of benefit to our users may be permitted on this forum, but if you have any commercial interest please declare this openly and refer to our Help section on Advertising.

This is quoted directly from the Help section.

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
Just thought I'd remind members who are clearly worried about naming products and suppliers that they are allowed to make recommendations based on their personal experience:

Personal endorsements of products or services that may be of benefit to our users may be permitted on this forum, but if you have any commercial interest please declare this openly and refer to our Help section on Advertising.

This is quoted directly from the Help section.

Thank you. OK, so though I haven't used this site it is NRS Healthcare. Lots of interesting stuff that I never even knew existed. (I have no link with the company)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I used to use Cavilon Durable Barrier Cream .
You can buy it over the counter or, as I did, get it prescribed by the GP.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/Cavilon/skin-care/products/durable-barrier-cream/

They also do a spray that leaves a breathable, transparent film coating on the skin.
This can also be used as a preventative against, or treatment of, pressure ulcers.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/porta...ay-3346P?N=7570550+3292957681+3294857496&rt=d

If you go to:-
http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/Cavilon/skin-care/service-support/contact-3M/
and click on the down arrow next to 'General Enquiry' you can select to order a free sample of either product.