Advice on antidepressants please

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
My mother, who now lives with my husband and I, was diagnosed with vascular dementia a couple of years ago following a minor stroke. Historically she has tended to be low in the winter months and picks up again as the spring arrives.

This winter over Christmas and in to the New Year we reached a crisis point where following a fall in October when she fractured her lower arm she took to her bed and slept for about 18 hours out of every 24. When Mum did not improve I called the GP who came and took a raft of blood tests which all proved negative and almost straight away Mum picked up. Following the GP visit we had a referral to Elderly Mental Health who has recommended 15mg of Mirtazapine to be given at night. Although I have POA for my mother's financial affairs I have been reminded by my sister that I do not have the final say in my mothers medical affairs. She is against Mum having any antidepressants as she has seen the effects on teenagers in her professional role as a teacher. I have suggested that we try Mum for 6 weeks but now because my sister is so anti the tablets I am feeling less confident in case Mum manifests any of the more unpleasant side effects. I know that I will be here to help Mum if there are any side effects, day or night but............../

Have any of you any personal experience that you could share with me please.

Thank you all so much for your personal experiences. RJM I will read your story when I have a moment. All experiences help to make good decisions. Acco thank you also for your contribution fortunately my mother does not seem to have any spasms so I am going to give the tablets a 6 week trial and see if it helpful if not it will not be too hard to withdraw from the antidepressant. To all of you I think the comments about older heads versus younger heads has given me back a bit of confidence to try out the Mirtazapine. Shash7677 I will search for the talking point you mention in the morning, I usually have a bit of time to myself then.

Sunday 17 February, I gave Mum a tablet with her milk at just gone 9 p.m. At 10 p.m. when I went in to her she was like a drunk, (she was already unsteady on her feet but this was worse) already complaining that she must have done something because her back and shoulders hurt and she was desperate to sleep (two of the known side effects). I helped her through her pre bedtime routine and before I had closed the door she was asleep. I checked her as soon as I woke the following morning and then hourly until 10 a.m. when I woke her for a cup of tea. She went straight back to sleep and eventually woke at 2 p.m. in a good mood but still very tired. She eventually got up by 5 p.m. still a bit unsteady on her feet. I just gave her a sandwich tea and a creme caramel to slide down as she was still so tired. Needless to say I will not be giving Mum another tablet just the excessive unsteadiness which could lead to a fall would be so detrimental is enough of a reason for me. I think I heard heard her wandering about last night but was so tired myself I could not rouse to go to her however I know she will have quietly gone back to bed where it would be warm under the bedclothes.

Last edited:

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
It's quite common place for people with alzheimers and dementia to have dementia medication alongside antidepressants.

My mum has had citalopram, lorazepam and diazepam (although that accentuates her AD symptoms).

The thing you have to keep in mind is that they are prescribed to help. A teenager is a lot different to an elderly person suffering from dementia. Also, these things don't tend to take effect straight away, they may take a week or 4 weeks before you see any difference.

Is there any point suggesting that your sister speak to the person who is prescribing the antidepressants? It suggest she looks up the use of such an antidepressant in dementia patients and then comparing it to its use in teenagers.

Personally I can't see that the 2 are comparable in any way. I have previously taken citalopram as has mum (whilst suffering AD) but I'd hardly say we are the same.

Just a suggestion and my opinion,

Sharon

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Sorry a bit more.

If you search talking point there is a post by carolynlott who also asked about mirtazapine. It's titled 'mirtazapine' funnily enough ;-).

There are a few replies that may be worth reading until someone with a bit more knowledge than myself comes along.

Sharon

marsaday

Mar 2, 2012
I totally agree with sash. How can she compare an elderly person with dementia to a teenager. IMO they should be given anything that is likely to bring a little relief - or at least try them. Ask your sister if she was in her Mum's shoes, and could choose, would she rather soldier on or take the tablets?

Last edited:

marsaday

Mar 2, 2012
PS-I am a teacher and my daughter has been on anti-depressants as a teenager. She could not have carried on without them-side effects or not. You have to weigh up the pros and cons.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My wife has been on two anti-depressants so far during her dementia journey with no side effects but obvious benefits. Hopefully your sister will be willing to explore their use in those with dementia a little more before she issues a blanket condemnation. There are specific warnings for many anti-depressants relating to their use in teens and young adults (<24). The developing brain is very different from the mature brain, and even more different than a degenerating brain.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Steffie, can only give you a personal experience of how this sort of medication has helped my mum in law who has Vascular Dementia, and my mum who has Alzheimer's.
My mum is on Lorazepam and Mirtazapine and was given this when signs of major confusion showed it did take some time to work, mum is also on Aricept, before this "chemical cosh" mum was in a very dark place, she lost over 3 stone in weight as she did not want to eat and also had constant UTI's and she would not drink much either, this affected her kidneys, my mum was very against pills anyway and only took blood pressure tablets, the Mirtazapine calmed her down and also kick started her appetite which in turn got her drinking plenty again. My mum in law is also on anti depressants different ones to my mum, now these two elderly ladies have never been pill pushers was lucky if they even took a pill for a headache, because of the help and consideration of their doctors, they are still able to live independently in their own homes, some meds or sometimes all meds do not work for all (sadly). If your mum was in pain or needed life saving medication to help her I guess this would be ok with your sister? your mum lives with you and your husband so you are the carers, would your sister like to look after mum for a week and put herself in your shoes? maybe if this happened she may change her mind. I hope you get this situation sorted out soon and do please keep posting and let us know how things are. Good Luck and take care - Chris

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Mirtazapine-Our Experience

My wife was prescribed Mirtazapine to relieve anxiety, aggression and as a side effect, perhaps improve her weight loss which had been considerable. Having taken the 15mg dosage at night for 3 - 4wks she suffered a seizure lasting 15 - 20mins which I believe was brought about by the Mirtazapine. Following hospital investigation she was identified as having vascular dementia in addition to Alzheimer's (originally diagnosed 7yrs plus). Our mental health doctor considered it more likely that the Reminyl medication, prescribed and used from the initial diagnosis, was more likely the cause and recommended halting this which we did. However, on later reading the accompanying literature for both medications it seemed to myself that there was a greater emphasis on Mirtazapine possibly causing seizures. I discussed this with all our medical practioners and it was proposed that we stop the Mirtazapine as well. My wife is no longer on any medication associated with her mental health and has not experienced any seizures since stopping both medications 3months ago. Mirtazapine also seemed to make her noticeably very happy and exciteable but in some ways this was better for me rather than being on the receiving end of her aggression.
It can be difficult to know what is best even with all the help available and perhaps the only solution is to give things a try and see what happens, hoping for a positive outcome.
I hope our experience helps you in reaching your decision. One final point. My wife had experienced spasms during periods of dropping off to sleep or waking prior to taking the Mirtazapine (this continues today) - perhaps this was an indication she may not tolerate Mirtazapine?

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Sunday 17 February, I gave Mum a tablet with her milk at just gone 9 p.m. At 10 p.m. when I went in to her she was like a drunk, (she was already unsteady on her feet but this was worse) already complaining that she must have done something because her back and shoulders hurt and she was desperate to sleep (two of the known side effects). I helped her through her pre bedtime routine and before I had closed the door she was asleep. I checked her as soon as I woke the following morning and then hourly until 10 a.m. when I woke her for a cup of tea. She went straight back to sleep and eventually woke at 2 p.m. in a good mood but still very tired. She eventually got up by 5 p.m. still a bit unsteady on her feet. I just gave her a sandwich tea and a creme caramel to slide down as she was still so tired. Needless to say I will not be giving Mum another tablet just the excessive unsteadiness which could lead to a fall would be so detrimental is enough of a reason for me. I think I heard heard her wandering about last night but was so tired myself I could not rouse to go to her however I know she will have quietly gone back to bed where it would be warm under the bedclothes.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the update, Steffie. I understand how difficult it can be for you in trying to do the best for your mum and hope your sister realises this and can provide some positive support for you. You are clearly concerned about the impact the Mirtazapine may have/as had on mums ability to maintain her balance/awareness and quite rightly so. However, if I recall correctly, the literature suggests it would be 2 to 4wks taking the medication before any effect becomes apparent (this may depend on the severity of the persons mental condition at the time) so I wonder if it is in fact one Mirtazapine tablet that brought about the status you saw. Perhaps there is an underlying cause which requires further investigation by your GP and it may be best make him/her aware of the situation and your concerns. Best wishes for the future and I hope you are able to find something which helps your mum and at the same time gives you some relief from a difficult situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455