Advice needed

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
I have just arranged respite care for my sister in a few weeks time. i have taken her to the unit to show her round but she is of course insistent that she is not going to go there. any advice on how i can get her to go and settle in. i know she will be ok after a day or so as she will have
forgotten how long she has been there and will think it has just been one day.

Any help appreciated.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Pammy, this is a hard one. Could you not say her place needs decorating, or heating needs looking at, so you are treating her to a stay at a guest house/hotel. Just something along those lines maybe.
Sure someone out there will have more positive suggestions. Take care, Connie

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
respite

my Mum enjoyed her respite. We said that it was her holiday and she looked forward to going. I think that people feel that they will never come out. Try sressing its just for a holiday. I hope it works. good luck. zan

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hi Pammy

It might be worth asking the staff where your sister is going for respite to advise you. They will meet this situation frequently and may have ideas on the best way for you both to deal with it.

We dreaded Mum going into respite and had some sleepless nights, she, however slept really well and settled in a couple of days. We took her to the home and when we got there said she was staying there for a few days as we had to go to work and she didn't like being on her own. We left her drinking coffee and chatting to a fellow resident.

Looking back,it was far more traumatic for us than for her, thank goodness.

Hope all goes well

Kathleen

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Thanks for replies. i will ask at the home if they have any ideas. as she has almost no speech she won't be able to chat to the others and I wonder if the staff will know what she is trying to say. she still thinks she is going home almost every day although she has been living with us for 6 months.

The last two days have not been toogood, i seem to have little patience, but I know its not her fault when she cant do something or asks for the n'th time the same question. Still I might be better today.

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
One suggestion, pack her case and put it in the car boot so that she doesn't see it, and leave it in the car boot until you have taken her into the care home, and then go and get it. Best wishes.

Carol

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello again,

We did the suitcase in the boot trick too and when the staff unpacked the clothes they removed the case and we collected it on the first visit, to avoid the trauma of Mum packing it to go again.

My Mum has mostly lost her speech too, but somehow she and several other residents seem to communicate with each other quite well, as do the staff.

Kathleen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R