Advice Needed Please

Jealm

Jun 25, 2022
Hello all. I am now to this forum but feel I may some of your expert advice.

My partner is newly diagnosed with early stage alzheimers. We haven't seen anybody regarding this diagnosis but received the diagnosis by telephone consultation after memory test (by telephone also) and MRI scan. My partner is in denial of the diagnosis and is something we don't speak about. The same week of his alzheimers diagnosis he ended up having to be admitted for emergency open heart surgery. This was difficult for him (and me) due to his confusion. He came home and was doing well at home regarding his recovery but has now been rushed back into hospital with a heart infection and must go through all the heart surgery again and will be in hospital for a couple of months. Already he is very confused and disorientated as soon as he is on his own and I have gone home. Already today I have had 6 phone calls from him in tears wanting to come home and getting cross with me. I am spending all day in the hospital with him.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how I can best support him whilst he has this long stay away from home as I feel his mental health is failing already within a few days but I am not sure what more I can do or what to say to him.

Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is dreadful for you @Jealm

Have you considered asking PALS for help? This is all I can think of for now.

There must be some way of managing someone with dementia in hospital. I do hope PALS cab help you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts